586,069 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Smile Save Edge Finder after #101=#5021

Hi All,

I am trying to capture the Machine Positions typically through the command (please see program below) but having problems at M0.

Program -

I execute program in Single Block.

M03 S500; . ...( I switch to Handle Mode & than pickup the Face with Edge Finder )

...{ Again i switch to Auto Mode & press cycle Start }

#101=#5021;
    #102=#5022; ...( At this point the Current X & Y positions are copied to variable 101 & 102 respectively )
    M0; ...(The program Stops & also the Spindle containing Edge Finder Stops )
    M03 S500; ..(At this particular Block, the Edge Finder starts rotating).

THE PROBLEM TO ME THAT I AM NOT SURE THAT IT IS ADVISABLE TO START A EDGE FINDER ROTATION WHEN EDGE FINDER IS ENGAGED WITH A FACE.
    I AM SCARED THAT IT SHOULD NOT DAMAGE THE EDGE FINDER AS EDGE FINDER LOWER PART (i.e the Part engaged with the Face ) IS A SPRING CONNECTED PART.

Guys, I need all of you to advocate & find out a unique program structure to skip damage of Edge Finder.

Thanks a Lot.

Ashish B

Not sure on the logic of your program.
    Why do you program the stop just to start it up again?
    After you recorded the position why not simply back off with the edge finder manually or program a backup move into the program?

Smile No manual Interruption

Hi...

Thanks for the Reply.

As i have to pick Multiple Positions, I have to command M0.

( _________****________

I understand that u must be saying that as u are in single block why don't u press cycle start 2 times ( for 5021 & 5022 ) & then restart the Process of Picking up next Positions.
    But the fact is that when u are into commands of #101=#5021 & #102=#5022 the program does not stop in between even if u are in Single Block. It will stop only when u have command M0.
    _________****________ )

As u are suggesting a Back Move which is acknowledged by me, but that retraction is a Manual Interruption & I don't want any such Move.

Please advocate.

Thanks.

Also wanted to know that starting the Spindle at that position ( when the edge finder is engaged with surface ) is advisory or not.
    What is ur prepestive. Will it damage the Edge Finder ?

Ash

I wouldn't think it would do any damage. Why not just try it and see?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
    Hi All,

I am trying to capture the Machine Positions typically through the command (please see program below) but having problems at M0.

Program -

I execute program in Single Block.

M03 S500; . ...( I switch to Handle Mode & than pickup the Face with Edge Finder )

...{ Again i switch to Auto Mode & press cycle Start }

#101=#5021;
    #102=#5022; ...( At this point the Current X & Y positions are copied to variable 101 & 102 respectively )
    M0; ...(The program Stops & also the Spindle containing Edge Finder Stops )
    M03 S500; ..(At this particular Block, the Edge Finder starts rotating).

THE PROBLEM TO ME THAT I AM NOT SURE THAT IT IS ADVISABLE TO START A EDGE FINDER ROTATION WHEN EDGE FINDER IS ENGAGED WITH A FACE.
    I AM SCARED THAT IT SHOULD NOT DAMAGE THE EDGE FINDER AS EDGE FINDER LOWER PART (i.e the Part engaged with the Face ) IS A SPRING CONNECTED PART.

Guys, I need all of you to advocate & find out a unique program structure to skip damage of Edge Finder.

Thanks a Lot.

Ashish B
    Go on to MMSONLINE.com and look under CNC Talk Section. I don't remember the exact month the acrticle was on, but I know about 3 years ago I read through macro program is exactly what you are looking for. Go there and check it out, there are quite few other programs you might find it helpful like how to remove XY material oversize, remove Z marterial oversize..... blah blah.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Wink

To your question, No I do not think you would damage the Edgefinder.
    There probably would be a somewhat higher chance of moving the Edgefinder off in the wrong direction afterwards.
    About the inability to single Block while running Macro statements this is something that can be changed by setting a Parameter, you would have to look that up in your Documentation.
    My feeling is that this is not gone end in a smooth opperational sequence, I am sure you could get this working but when it comes down to teaching somebody else to use it you will run into trouble, to complicated ...
    Would it not be easier to just program a Probe to do this.
    Good Luck

Question Hi

Hi All

Thanks for your Reply.

As all of your advocate to rotate Spindle ( when the edge finder is engaged with a face ) i will give it a try.

I do not mean a INSTANT damage & breakage to the edge finder.

I was refering a DAMAGE to the spring of the edge finder & the Edge finder would break into pieces not now but may be after some time due to the fact that the Spring distortion & inability to work will be reflected over a period of time & not instantly.

Torsten, what do u mean by Program a Probe?

Thanks,

Ash

You probably won’t cause any damage however I would not advise it. You are asking people to do manually things with a tool touching a part with the spindle rotating then not rotating. Way to much chance for error or injury. It is already dangerous enough as typically when people are using the MPG with an edge finder the door is open, spindle running, face near the spindle to watch for the brake etc.

As Torsten has said why do you not make a small move off of the part then turn off the spindle? There is obviously more to the program then what you have posted. Let us know what else you are trying to do.

Spindle is rotating at this point
    #101=#5021;
    #102=#5022; you grab the current data
    M0;you stop the spindle
    M03 S500;then you start the spindle??? Why did you stop it with the M0 in the previous block??

Stevo

A Probe is a electronic device quiete similar to an edgefinder that can be programmed to make contact with the Part and output a signal to the controller at the exact position at impact.
    The data can then be accessed by Macro statements similar to what you are doing now.
    You can program this Probe to pick up consecutive features without having to stop the machine.
    you would simply probe the part, do the calculations and start cutting.
    Good Luck

Cool

Hello

{{ Spindle is rotating at this point
    #101=#5021;
    #102=#5022; you grab the current data
    M0;you stop the spindle
    M03 S500;then you start the spindle??? Why did you stop it with the M0 in the previous block?? }}

Stevo, If I don't command M0 how can I stop the MACRO Statement execution. As U know that a Macro cannot stopped (even if Single Block Mode is activated. )

Any Suggestions, STEVO ?

Torsten,
    I understand what you u are trying to say & the array of knowledge about probes , but we are restricted in this thread to conversate about edge Finder macro calling.

I need to know more about Spindle Probes, can I PM you?

Thanks for your Respone,

Ash.

I understand that you want to stop the spindle after getting the current data but what I was asking is “why” must you stop it right on the part?

If you have gathered the data that you want then you don’t need to be on the part so move the edge finder off the part then stop the spindle. If you need to get more data from the part in a different area you once again have to move the tool so why not stop it when you move to the next location.

#101=#5021;
    #102=#5022
    G91X()Y()
    M0
    G90
    M3S500

Torsten,
    I understand what you u are trying to say & the array of knowledge about probes , but we are restricted in this thread to conversate about edge Finder macro calling.
    Ash….It’s your thread you can talk about whatever you want to.

Stevo

Post Hi

Hi Stevo,

Thanks for the reply & I congratule for your Idea.

But there is a problem in REALITY.

Say for Instance if we write a program to Edge find first the Left side of the Part & then the Right Side & accordingly program the G91 Moves.

But if a Similar Part is loaded the next time & if the Operator edge find first the Right Side of the Part ( with the same program ), Than it will be very problematic & we will be providing a Platform for Collision..

I hope u are getting me.

Ash

STEVO, I APOLOGIZE FOR MY PREVIOUS COMMENT ON PROBES.

Why not move Z up 1/2" before the M0?

Ash,
    You don’t have to apologize to me for anything. I was just simply stating that it is your thread and you can talk about whatever you want. If you want to keep the topic strictly on “edge finders” then you certainly can do so.

I agree with you that an operator will choose his own convenient way of finding the datum for a part when manually using an edge finder which if used as I stated can cause a collision. However you are now trying to incorporate a program to gather data when edge finding the part so this changes things a bit. If you are going to go as far as having a program then structure it so it will be run the same way all the time. There should be no inconsistencies when running a program

It made be crude but why not something along these lines.

M0
    (SINGLE BLOCK)
    (CYCLE START)
    M3S500
    (PICK UP RIGHT SIDE)
    #101=#5021
    #102=#5022
    G91X-.1
    G90Z1.
    M0
    (SINGLE BLOCK)
    (CYCLE START)
    M3S500
    (PICK UP LEFT SIDE)
    #103=#5021
    #104=#5022
    G91X.1
    G90Z1.
    M0
    ….

The M0 will shut off the spindle so the single block is necessary to pause the program to move it to the next feature. You could try using the #3006 stop with message to say move to left or right side. IIRC some machines will continue running the spindle with the #3006 but will pause the code until cycle start is pushed. If that works then it will eliminate the single block having to be used along with the M0.

Stevo

Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    Why not move Z up 1/2" before the M0?
    Dave...missed your post while typing.

Well that would be much easier then everything that I just wrote. I do like to over complicate things though .

Stevo

Wink Hi

HI

Thanks for your Reply.

1 Idea striked in my brain. It can be -

M03 S500 ( Execute in Single Block )
    ......( Switch to Handle mode & pickup the Face)

......( Switch to Auto Mode )

#101=#5021
    #102=#5022

.....( At this stage, the Positions are copied to the Common Variable Page )

M03 S500 ....( As we have added a Non Macro Code added here, the program will stop & we can jog to next position to pickup another face )

So neither we are giving a Halt to the Spindle & Destroying the risk of Damage of Edge Finder.

What u Say Guys ?

Ash

What makes the program stop at M03 S500?

Cool Hi

Hi....

A macro command ( #101=#5021 & #102=#5022 ) will not stop even if Single Block Is Active.

We need to command a Non Macro command & a general CNC Command.

So, I believe that M03 S500 is a Non Macro Command.

Ash

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    M0
    (SINGLE BLOCK)
    (CYCLE START)
    M3S500
    (PICK UP RIGHT SIDE)
    #101=#5021
    #102=#5022
    G91X-.1
    G90Z1.
    M0
    (SINGLE BLOCK)
    (CYCLE START)
    M3S500
    (PICK UP LEFT SIDE)
    #103=#5021
    #104=#5022
    G91X.1
    G90Z1.
    M0
    ….
    Stevo
    Hi....

A macro command ( #101=#5021 & #102=#5022 ) will not stop even if Single Block Is Active.

We need to command a Non Macro command & a general CNC Command.

So, I believe that M03 S500 is a Non Macro Command.

Ash
    Look at the example I already posted. If you follow the notes and do as it describes it will stop. The first M0 stops the program from the code that was running before it. You then switch to (single block) then push (cycle start) the spindle will start then (pick up right edge).

You will still have the problem as you described. It will read the variables before you move the edge finder to the part. You can put a quick dwell in after turning on the spindle. G4X1.

Stevo

My bad. I missed the (Execute in Single Block). Sure seems like you're doing a lot of manual things. I hope the operator doesn't forget to switch to single block.

Page 1 of 2 12