586,071 active members*
3,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Is there a Circular Hole Pattern function in Dolphin?

Is there a Circular Hole Pattern function in Dolphin?

Hello,
    I am a soon-to-be Dolphin user. I have been searching high and low for the right CAD/CAM package to support my garage shop. I have a 3-axis, knee mill retrofit, controlled with Mach-3. Most of the work I do is reasonably simple shapes, pockets, and patterns in aluminum and plastics.
    I have done a lot of stuff with the wizards in Mach-3, and a limited amount of hand written G-code.

I have been playing with Dolphin a bit over the last couple of days, and think I am starting to get a feel for it. I have also been watching the tutorial videos online, as time permits. I plan to buy the License in the next couple of weeks.

Something I have not figured out, and feel is an important feature, is Circular Hole Patterns. I have done a decent amount of work in Solidworks, and have come to rely on the pattern tools it offers. I do not have Solidworks at home, which is part of the reason I am looking at Dolphin. I understand the CAD portion is in a different league from SW, but that is partly what I want. I would like to have something that I can open quickly, draw a shape, throw some holes, slots, pockets, etc. into it, run it through CAM, and generate the G-code. Ease of use is my primary goal, and this platform seems to fulfill most of my requirements.

So, if someone has firsthand experience with easily creating hole patterns in Dolphin, please share. Obviously, I could lay out a hole pattern easily enough, but for odd numbers of holes, or when dealing with a large quantity of them, it would be nice to be able to define the center of the pattern, diameter, and quantity, and it does the rest.

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

Yes, there are various ways of creating hole circular hole patterns.

In CAD select Circle and use the Properties button to set the size, then from the Main menu choose Draw > Repeat operation. Here you can select the radio button "Repeat around arc to be defined below", this allows a full or partial arc to be defiend with any number of holes and also the ability to set the start angle of the first hole.

Then create a pattern as normal.

In CAM - much easier unless you need the PCD to be part of the drawing.

From the bottom toolbar choose the Pattern Icon and set the details as required, then Define and Select a tool, then choose the Drill icon and drill the holes. OR - from the Level 2 (standard menu) from the right hand side of the screen - if not visible selet the Command tab - then choose Drill, Ream,Tap icon and set all the details in a single operation.

Hope this is clear.

ATB
    Andre

Thanks Andre!
    I am sure it will be clear when I get a chance to sit down and play with it a bit.

Best regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by millnturn View Post
    Hello,
    I am a soon-to-be Dolphin user. I have been searching high and low for the right CAD/CAM package to support my garage shop. I have a 3-axis, knee mill retrofit, controlled with Mach-3. Most of the work I do is reasonably simple shapes, pockets, and patterns in aluminum and plastics.
    I have done a lot of stuff with the wizards in Mach-3, and a limited amount of hand written G-code.

I have been playing with Dolphin a bit over the last couple of days, and think I am starting to get a feel for it. I have also been watching the tutorial videos online, as time permits. I plan to buy the License in the next couple of weeks.

Something I have not figured out, and feel is an important feature, is Circular Hole Patterns. I have done a decent amount of work in Solidworks, and have come to rely on the pattern tools it offers. I do not have Solidworks at home, which is part of the reason I am looking at Dolphin. I understand the CAD portion is in a different league from SW, but that is partly what I want. I would like to have something that I can open quickly, draw a shape, throw some holes, slots, pockets, etc. into it, run it through CAM, and generate the G-code. Ease of use is my primary goal, and this platform seems to fulfill most of my requirements.

So, if someone has firsthand experience with easily creating hole patterns in Dolphin, please share. Obviously, I could lay out a hole pattern easily enough, but for odd numbers of holes, or when dealing with a large quantity of them, it would be nice to be able to define the center of the pattern, diameter, and quantity, and it does the rest.

Thanks in advance,
    Jon
    Millnturn,
    I'm interested in the Z axis on your machine? I have a 2 axis Chevalier 10 x 50 and would like to add the Z controller. Did you do yours or have it done and what brand is it, if you don't mind? I have the program and have made some parts with the mill but as of the moment haven't been able to cut anything with the program. I've had to input the moves and do it the old fashioned way. The program seems easy enough my problem is getting my ideas onto paper and converting the drawing to a PDF or DFX file so it can be scaned into the program. It's a little more money but I think it's worth it to buy the Dongle. It's a USB device that unlocks the program and you can then take the program to another computer, such as a laptop, and work from it also.
    I'd be interested in hearing about the third axis.
    Thanks,
    Jim