586,590 active members*
2,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Offy engine help

I am looking for some one that has started to build or has built Ron C Offy 270 from his book. I have purchased his book and have finally started the project. My direction for this project is to first model all of the parts in solid model form and then program the parts to be machined. I travel a lot so I have lots of Hotel time to do this. This I hope will maximize my time in my shop when I am home.

I am looking for someone that might have some pictures of there parts because I do have some questions how things and a picture would clear these up. I have contacted Ron via e-mail but I also don't want to bug him everytime I have a question. any direction would be a great help.

Part that I am working on that I have questions on is the crankcase mainly how the pockets are located for the main bearing caps. Also the .5 dia holes for the cylinder bores do not have any depth associated with them.

Thanks in advance !

Jjim Walthall

Offy project

Jim, well thats a good question to ask ,I have been wanting to start this project myself for some time but just have not had the time to get started.I would suggest drifting over to yahoo groups and do asearch for the Ron C offy project as there is a group for this engine , only thing is not many members and not allot of post but there are some pictures to have a look at and perhaps you might be able to contact the few who are building the engine.It's very frustrating when you are in the dark about this stuff and yes you feel like a nag bugging Ron but when your in a pich it's better to bug than makem a big mistake.Wish I could also make my stuff vis cnc but money won't permit that deal, let me know how you make out, you can e-mail me directly to see what I also do at [email protected] .Regards Chris

Thanks Chris for the lead I will check it out. when I get a part finished I will let you know.

Thanks,

JWalthall

offy engine

Jim sounds great.Chris

Offy270 project

Hi all,
    Great to know that there seems to be some interest in constructing this model. I am about 20% thru construction , hoping, and agree that with lack of part constuctions photos it is hard to get an idea as to how it goes together. I have so far resisted the temptation to email Ron as it would onlystart a continuing round of correspondence. To get around the lack of detail problem I draw each part in cad and this proves that I have all the required info and any typo errors in the original docs, if, any can be found.
    For complex parts requiring several machining steps I make a drawing of each step, ie crankcase has lathe, mill and drill steps. Then it,s just a case of making each part and making sure it fits. I usually start on the piece that I consider may be hardest, or impossible to make on the basis that if I can't make it then there is no point continuing. So far so good but the crankshaft is going to be a challenge
    Photo so far, attached, I hope Mago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5340.jpg