586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Newbie Pacer Driver needs help

Smile Newbie Pacer Driver needs help

Hi Guys, first the apology if I have posted in the wrong place, never seen a community so large or so many forums, and apologies for the thread length.

Now the problem:

I am an engineer (conventional) and fairly computer literate. I needed to cut out repetitive small non-intricate parts from plastic sheet and it was getting tedious by hand/bandsaw/template router/linisher etc. I got hold of a good condition Pacer cadet as I needed an industrial strength/stability machine and it was the only one that would fit in the wshop. Its a Pacer 600 and runs XMC-E on an antiquated (but amazingly quick) W95 machine that has no networking and only a floppy and CD drive.

It came complete but no documentation and I am a complete newbie to the black art of cnc. After a short but very steep learning curve, and replacing the bearings on the z stepper motor, I am cutting my parts OK but now I can see the potential I want to do MORE!! Now the problems start!

On the software side I am having to draw components on my other computer using Autosketch (a great cut-down Autocad) and export the file as DXF and burn to disk. Walk back to the workshop and open the file, import it into a program called CASWIN/CASMATE as a DXF which converts it to a .SVC file, then export it as a Pacer .PCR file then open the Pacer software and import the (currently) 2D file, add all the tool/material info, process, queue, run and then save as a Pacer .VMC file....... PHEW what a ridiculously long winded way!! Surely there must be a quicker way to get a .dwg or a .dxf file into Pacer?

Using a milling cutter I want to cut half depth slots, add some text and then rout the part out. I am managing it by having three individual files each containing the paths and running them consecutively but I KNOW this is not the way to go! What should I be doing?

I also need to be able to accurately determine where the tool starts so that I can use pre-cut (exact) blanks of material in the knowledge that registration will be repeatable. Is there a way of doing this?

Tried some text with area fill and for some reason it chose only to fill certain characters while leaving others as outline. For the 'A' character it actually left the outline but area filled the small triangle in the middle! How do I get it do single line text engraving like I get from my panel label producer (he still uses an old Taylor Hobson pantograph)?

The help files failed dismally and although Pacer (well, AXYZ) were helpful on more mechanical advice (unlike some I have read about here) the only suggestion to user problems was to pay £500 per day to have tuition. I asked about upgrading the software to run on my XP machines but that was extortionate.

This puts me on a knife edge if this old W95 machine ever goes pop and I would probably want to just keep the mechanics and motors and get a modern set of driver electronics and new software to drive. Does current software provide the design, processing and driving capability in one??

Any good intro/newbie books around??

Any help, suggestions, advice greatly appreciated.

Sorry this is a long thread but might as well get it all out in one ;-)

Thanks

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by pacerdriver View Post

On the software side I am having to draw components on my other computer using Autosketch (a great cut-down Autocad) and export the file as DXF and burn to disk. Walk back to the workshop and open the file, import it into a program called CASWIN/CASMATE as a DXF which converts it to a .SVC file, then export it as a Pacer .PCR file then open the Pacer software and import the (currently) 2D file, add all the tool/material info, process, queue, run and then save as a Pacer .VMC file....... PHEW what a ridiculously long winded way!! Surely there must be a quicker way to get a .dwg or a .dxf file into Pacer?

The solution to this is cad/cam software where you have a post processor that converts the G Code to run on the Pacer

So the first thing is does Auto sketch have this ability, i am guessing no

But that is how it is normally done

But with cad/cam software you have the ability to import a file "DFX" then use the cam side to generate code

This is the downside it seems most software is cad/cam not just cam only but i may be wrong on this

So you end up with two cad programs

Using a milling cutter I want to cut half depth slots, add some text and then rout the part out. I am managing it by having three individual files each containing the paths and running them consecutively but I KNOW this is not the way to go! What should I be doing?

Maybe it is the way, it is possible with Cad/Cam software to do it all in one file but sometimes it may be better to do it individually as you are now

I also need to be able to accurately determine where the tool starts so that I can use pre-cut (exact) blanks of material in the knowledge that registration will be repeatable. Is there a way of doing this?

Again i do not know your machine but i think it should have a home position.

If it does the then after it is homed when you put you material on the machine in the same place it will always be the same distance from the home location

Tried some text with area fill and for some reason it chose only to fill certain characters while leaving others as outline. For the 'A' character it actually left the outline but area filled the small triangle in the middle! How do I get it do single line text engraving like I get from my panel label producer (he still uses an old Taylor Hobson pantograph)?

I do not know about the the fill but in my cad/cam i have the ability to engrave right in the cam along with a range of fonts that you could never do on the TH

The help files failed dismally and although Pacer (well, AXYZ) were helpful on more mechanical advice (unlike some I have read about here) the only suggestion to user problems was to pay £500 per day to have tuition. I asked about upgrading the software to run on my XP machines but that was extortionate.

Info here is free but it may be incorrect and it may not always be forth coming

This puts me on a knife edge if this old W95 machine ever goes pop and I would probably want to just keep the mechanics and motors and get a modern set of driver electronics and new software to drive. Does current software provide the design, processing and driving capability in one??

For lots of money some controllers have routines built in i use Mach3

The non expiring demo has wizards to generate some code but at the price it is unbeatable and is what i use, the full version is £80 + £50 for better wizards prices approx

I use professional cad/cam with this software that runs on a pc win2k and higher a lot more money.

Any good intro/newbie books around??

You are in the right place

Any help, suggestions, advice greatly appreciated.

Hopefully yes

Sorry this is a long thread but might as well get it all out in one ;-)

Thanks

Tim
    Phil

pacer help

Thanks Phil,

You are correct, Autosketch can only output .skf,.dwg or export .dxf formats, no G code.

Thanks for the other advice. I am trying to get my head around layers in this software but as you have to select a tool type, diameter and depth of cut BEFORE processing, and the processing processes ALL layers I can't see how I can get it to do differing cuts on differing layers without treating each layer as a completely different job which just happens to be cut on the same piece of material.

It seems that as with all technologies there is a wealth of 'specific' info available but very little 'global' and 'architectural' info on what the devil goes on behind the scenes!

Cheers

Tim

PACER Help

Tim,

What version of XMC do you have ?

It may be possible to re-house your current ISA control card in an adapter box which would allow you to upgrade to a Win XP computer.

I used to be Technical Manager at PACER Systems Ltd and I'm now self employed as TS Services, so if you run into any other problems or are interested in upgrades / servicing let me know.

Cheers,

Tim.

t s services
    I have bought a pacer cadet 1200 production 2002 infortunitly i didnt get the i didnt get anny softwear or dangle with it can you help please .

Signtair2008,

Did you get a computer and/or control card with the machine ? (By this I do not mean the control box under the machine)

Cheers,

Tim

about my pacer cadet

hallo TIM ,
    thanks for your message , I didnt replay quickly because i was on holiday,

about the pacer dadet 120 , i didn't get a computer or any external card with it , however I have opened the box underneath the machine and took some photos of it, I found a card wich seems to me as a controle card .

I can always send some pictures so you can see what is in the machine .
    my email is [email protected].

thanks again

signtair2008

The control box under the machine contains the stepper drives, I/O interfaces and power supplies. You will need a computer with the machine software and internal/external control card to be able to run the machine.

Where ae you based ?

Cheers,

Tim

howm much softwear cost

thanks for your explanation , about the controle box under the machine,
    I am based in London , please could you tell me how much it will cost me to get the machine runing , I mean the cost off the softwaer and the the external/internal card .
    in case of anny upgrade to make the machine running on xp what will be the price for that too.

thanks you verry mush .

signtair

I've sent you a pm to the address previously supplied.

Cheers,

Tim

I mean the cost off the softwaer and the the external/internal card .i didn't get a computer or any external card with it , I want to cut half depth slots, add some text and then rout the part out.
    Welcome to my paintings website - www.wholesaleartmall.com