586,112 active members*
3,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Will Dolphin V 10 work on Windows 7

Will Dolphin V 10 work on Windows 7

Title says it all.
    Just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and tried to install the version off the web but it says the Dolphin msi is corrupt.

Dolphin on the desktop is V9 and keeps falling over with 'can't find server errors' and comes up with a box saying switch to . Switch to what ??
    I know it needs a reformat but as V9 is now unsupported I am loath to do this.

At the moment I don't have a reliable copy of Dolphin and I need to program some parts.

Any advise?

John S.

I dont have an answer but did you try running the install in compatability mode?

Yes, Dolphin v10 will work under Windows 7.

What worked for me:

Download the installer.
    Right click and select "Run as Administrator"
    Use the "Custom Setup" option
    Select everything except "W9XP"
    Install

Once installed, if you get a message "Failed to update the system registry" when running a module, go to the desktop shortcut, right-click, select "Properties", then the Compatibility tag, and then the "Run this program as an Administrator."

If you have any further issues, go back to the Compatibility tab and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then select Vista or XP (I am running under XP SP2 compatibility)

One quirk I've noticed, and I don't know if it is Partmaster, Win7, or my hardware, is that sometimes I get a "ghost" image of something I pasted. Zooming in/out with the mouse will refresh the screen and all will be well.

The steps I posted were not quite correct for installing to Windows 7.
    The problem is that the installer checks to see if you are running XP or Vista and installs different files depending on which OS you have. Since Windows 7 is neither XP nor Vista, it does not install either set of support files. Here is one way to ensure you get a full installation:

-Download the installer.
    -Right click and select "Run as Administrator"
    -Install with the default options.

-AGAIN right-click the installer and select "Run as Administrator"
    You will get a screen asking you to select between Modify, Repair, or Remove.
    -Select MODIFY then click NEXT.
    Now you will see a list of installation options. You want to have the following:
    *Templates
    *Examples
    *Tutorials
    *Either Basic OR Intermediate OR Expert
    *Vista
    *Thumbnails (optional)
    DO NOT SELECT W9XP
    - Click NEXT and finish the installation. You will now have all the files needed for proper operation under Windows7.

There are two ways that I know of to address the "Failed to update the system registry" message when running a module.

Method 1: Go to the desktop shortcut, right-click, select "Properties", then the Compatibility tag, and then the "Run this program as an Administrator."

Method 2: Go to the desktop shortcut, right-click, select "Properties", then the Compatibility tab and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then "XP SP2" or "XP SP3"

One quirk I've noticed, and I believe it is due to alterations in how Windows7 manages video, is that sometimes I get a "ghost" image of something I pasted. Zooming in/out with the mouse will refresh the screen and all will be well.

Hello LessPaul,

Just an FYI for you.

It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
    Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibility.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...s/default.aspx
    There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support

Don't want to thread jack but I have a sort of similar question. I use Ver 9 with a USB dongle and when purchased upgrade was noted as included - now version 10 is available, but i'm loathe to download as I seem to remember reading somewhere that version 10 will not automatically work? Anyone with a view or comment on this - I have tried UK and US support without much 'support' so far!

Almost positive you need to upgrade to V10. New updates are free but not actual upgrades.

By the way thanks for the reply in the other thread.

Hello,

Your Vs9 dongle will not work with Vs10 - you will need to upgrade to Vs10, your dongle can be remotely re-programmed to work with Vs10.

We haven't seen any emails regarding this question over the last couple of days, which email addy were you using ?

You can use either of the email addys

[email protected]
    [email protected]

Regards
    Andre

Ah well ! if its costing xxx again what's the point - V9 works well enough - haven't explored all its possibilities yet so...............no sale!