586,106 active members*
3,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Shizuko AN-S What power axis motors do I need ?

Shizuko AN-S What power axis motors do I need ?

Hi there, I'm removing the Old Bandit 3 from my An-S and was looking into maybe changing the old Steppers, for something with encoders.
    Does anyone know what inch lbs motors I might need ? I have no idea what the originals are due to now real labels on motors, and there's no point putting massively over spec ed motors on my Hobby mill.

Yes be nice if I could get some good Rapid speeds but not that important really, just want something that's good enough for the job....

Any recommendations DC/AC Servo's or Steppers ?? what the main differences with power and control.....

Sorry for the Newby question ... and thanks for any replies..

Clive

Been there, done that.
    I reused the servos and changed to encoders from resolvers. The axis motors are 50 Volts and 10 amps which is a major clue. You could get away with less but the Shizuoka is a lotta iron to move. I used AMC drives.
    Did the Bandit drive you crazy as it did me?
    Nelson
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

I converted a smaller SN-T which had Stepper motors only, with the usual 203V geckos. Now have bought a AN-S as I wanted the T/C and the bigger machine was a bonus....
    I got the Bandit going on my SN-T, but yes only one line of code would have sent me silly so didn't take much of a decision to swap it to Mach3....

The AN-S I have will be stripped of it's Bandit this weekend I hope. It also has Stepper motors, but was looking into investing in some better units with Encoders, as not happy not having a guaranteed positioning system...

Have any pic's of your Mill ??

Clive

If you have the Bandit III controler. You don't have steper motors, you have DC servos, most likely Baldor models. With 500 Line encoders and a tach signal. The Torque rating should be on the motor plate.
    What are you dong with the old controler. I may be interested in purchasing it at a reasonable price.

I wish they where Servos..... I converted a SN-T and now my new AN-S so have 2 complete Bandit III control units with Stepper drives etc....

Both machines trust me had stepper units with no Labels or reating plates on them. Both machines look like they used the same motor's aswell....

Email me at [email protected]

and I'll send you some pic's of what I have left over...

PS had both Control boxes fired up before I Stripped them down so I know they both work....

axis of power

Clive,

I used surplus old reel-to-reel computer tape drive motors (approx 1/2 HP) and affixed gecko's to the encoder end in a short extensoin tube. There is a heatsing at the distal end of the motor that the gecko mounts to. I used a small circular 9 pin connector for a completly self contained unit (except for the 75V power supply)

see http://www.barryfish.com (has not been updated for years, but there is some good info there)

Barry
    my projects:
    http://www.barryfish.com

Breaker, breaker...

Hi people,

Does anybody know where ANS Shizuokas go to die? Mine has a wiped out back gear - perhaps both but I haven't looked into it yet. I would pay a good price.

Thanks,
    Nelson

ps...I have a lot of working boards for the Bandit II from a retrofit. If anyone wants spares let me know. I have the manual as well.
    i build the braces that keep american teeth straight......tick tick tick

Seems I have to eat Hubble Pie......

I removed a end-cap from on of the motor's early on in the strip-down, and guess what it was the only motor that had a rating plate on that same endcap......oops..

So it seems I have "Superior Electric" SLO-SYN Synchronous/Stepper Motor.
    Type M112-FJ-327 200 step / rev 2.1V 9.2A DC Spec BM101025....

Question why "2.1V" I take it that means Volts.....so why so low as the PSU is 50Volts ???

Have seen similar low voltages in new motor can anyone explain please...

Quote Originally Posted by GTRClive View Post
    So it seems I have "Superior Electric" SLO-SYN Synchronous/Stepper Motor.
    Type M112-FJ-327 200 step / rev 2.1V 9.2A DC Spec BM101025....

Question why "2.1V" I take it that means Volts.....so why so low as the PSU is 50Volts ???

Have seen similar low voltages in new motor can anyone explain please...
    Stepper motors are current-fed devices. They also have high electrical pole counts (50, typically) and a lot of inductance. The 200-step motors with 50 poles require each winding to be reversed 100 times per revolution. Inductance limits how fast the current in the winding can be reversed. More voltage allows the reversal to happen faster. So, stepper drives use some kind of current limiting scheme so that the supply voltage can get the current reversed quickly, then the drive limits the current to the proper value. To turn a stepper motor at 1000 RPM, you have to spin at 16.667 revs/second, so the windings have to have the current reversed 1667 times a second.
    1667 Hz is 10474 radians/second. 50 V / 2.1 A = an impedance of 23.8 Ohms. Impedance of an inductor is = Omega * L, where Omega is the frequency in radians/second. Solving for L, we see that about 2 milliHenrys of inductance will require the full 50 V to barely keep 2.1 A flowing at 1000 RPM. And, I'd guess your motors may even be more than 2 mH inductance. So, that's why they need these much higher DC supply voltages to keep these motors working at higher speeds.

Jon

Thanks for the reply.... some times i do feel alittle out of depth, but this forum helps every time..... cheers

Ps the miller is nearing final wiring now so its close to machining again...

this was taken a few weeks ago.....

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edi...t=%2Fmy_videos

Quote Originally Posted by nelZ View Post
    Hi people,

Does anybody know where ANS Shizuokas go to die? Mine has a wiped out back gear - perhaps both but I haven't looked into it yet. I would pay a good price.

Thanks,
    Nelson

ps...I have a lot of working boards for the Bandit II from a retrofit. If anyone wants spares let me know. I have the manual as well.
    Hi nelZ,

I wonder if there is any chance to have a digital copy of the manual?
    I would really appreciate your help.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks.

Bandit Manuals ?

If anyone has a digital copy of the manuals I would be interested in them also.

Thanks Gary