586,123 active members*
3,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Questions

Questions

I am going to place an order for a IH cnc mill soon and have some questions.

What coolant systems are you using on your IH cnc? What size pump? What size tank? What about nozzles and hose?

What are the dimensions of the base and mounting holes for making a stand? I am planning on making an enclosure.

Halfstep,
    The coolant system will need to be planned out and here is what I am using.
    My machine is enclosed and I pump a LOT of coolant.
    I use a 55 gal drum on side with hole for drain and used bung to plumb into the pump
    The pump is a harbor freight centrifical pump with motor and it puts out a tremendous amount of coolant.
    I use large feed lines to the nozzles at spindle.
    The biggest consideration will be how much coolant the base of your enclosure can hold. Mine will hold nearly 50 gals and the 55 tank on side holds that much when full. This is important because your drain will function according to the head pressure and flow of you drain. When mine is in use, the enclosure pan fills up so it is 2" to 4" deep and then it has enough head to keep up with pump. You will need a good screening plan as well to keep the chip buildup clear of the drain and a suitable allowance so the coolant can drain through the chips and flow out the drains.
    Make certain that your pan is sealed perfectly and is durable. The coolant will soften many paints and sealling compounds, so don't rely on them at all ! My enclosure is welded steel, not pretty but quite effective. And leaks are extremely difficult to fix after the leak starts !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner