586,113 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Lasers

Lasers

Looking at purchasing a laser machine for mostly cutting crs and was wondering what frequently asked questions should be asked?

Make sure you know the limitations of a laser. I think 3/4" is about as thick of mild steel they can cut depending on their power.

Maybe i can help

Hello. I used to work for a metal working company in NC 90% of what they did was metal cutting. We prodominatly used Trumpf Lasers and we also had a few Amada. I am factory certified by Trumpf and have been to their advanced training courses in Connecticut. I have also been to Chicago for Fanuc Lasers which is what Amada uses on their machines. I know several people that have been in the Laser industy for a long time and most all will say that in the laser cutting world Trumpf makes the best there is. They use Seimens and Bosch for control types mainly. It really depends on what you are mainly going to be cutting, and thickness of material. You can cut up to an inch easily and i am sure Trumpf will go over that now easily. A 4000 watt laser would do basically anything you wanted as about as quicly an efficiently as you would need including stainless. If you are 3/4" or under then a 3200 watt may be all you need, and you could probably find a good 3000 watt that would do pretty good up to 3/4". I have friends that deal in them from time to time and can probably hook you up with a very good machine at a great price and can also install it for you. Lasers are a very unique machine and they do require a good pm program done religiously but will give good service if done. The thing to remember about good laser cutting is Water, Water, Water. Fanuc makes a real good laser but check into the machine that it is on before you rush out and by because of a rediculously good deal. A lot of companies will put a Fanuc laser on a hunk o junk as a selling point. plus you need to look at service. Amada insnt a very good laser and the service sucks. The Fanuc laser part is great but the machine is crap. Trumpf is a great machine and the service is much better. Cinncinnati also makes a pretty good laser. Bystronic is a name you will hear but they are so so. As of a few years ago Trumpf holds the patent on their type of resonator and are the only ones that make it. Everyone else uses a different type. Most of the other ones will tell you theirs is better and some are ok but jealousy is really the case. Trumpf is German made. Their prints are different than the Japs and they do their drive addressing and such differently but once you learn it is is like anything else then. the Amada's are Japanese, Cinncinnati is american as is Bystronic i think. I can help you out with any questions or concernes you might have. I will say that going to get training on whatever one you decide is paramount to properly operate and maintain a laser. Lasers are a completely different world than cnc lathes or machining centers but boy are they an amazing and awesome machine.

I would agree with CNCZILLA about the Trumpf lasers. Service is key. If cycle time is an issue make sure you have them run your parts. Salvagnini is another laser that is really fast!

Independent CNC Programmer
    www.independentcnc.com

My mission is to share CNC programming innovations for a lifetime.

Some of the Chinese laser machine are also at very high quality level. As our company Hanzlaser also at high quality with high competitive prices. If you need some information, you can contact us at [email protected]

Go with Amada

I would say, go with Amada. Very good quality machine. Easy to get service. There are many service co besides OEM. You will have one or two localy for sure. Trumpf will send you a tech from CA to RI to change a light bulb.Tickets, travel time, car rental - about $2K plus $0.99 for the bulb.
    Trumpf machines are overcomplicated while Amada to achieve same results find better, more reliable solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Artworldcn03 View Post
    Some of the Chinese laser machine are also at very high quality level. As our company Hanzlaser also at high quality with high competitive prices.

LMAO that is funnier than crap. A chinese copy of a German Laser with a German Name too boot , Let me guess you got the name off of a American TV show