586,071 active members*
4,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Errors #1,#16,#17

I have a 1999 Fadal 4020-88HS control. This machine was bought as a rebuilder. All ballscrews replaced as well as all turcite. I have not run a program on it. Until day before yesterday i have been able to start machine and have all axis working using jog and handwheel. Yesterday ,all I did was remove lube pump for repairs and reinstalled it. I start up machine and I get error #1. I jog to reset drivers and up comes error #16 and each time i hit jog ,after initial start up error #1 ,to clear E-stop. A few times I got error #17 to show up. Now I also get "axis does not respond to DNC" message also. Once a while back x axis went run away. I'm thinking resolver?

All three of these error are related to the resolver. #1 is no motor feed back. #16 is time out on resolver response and #17 is bad reading on resolver port.

Neal

Can I assume I need a new resolver due to the #1,#16 and #17 then? Thoise errors were reported for the x axis. I also got the "axis does not respond to DNC" on Y axis. Resolver also?

The error "axis does not respond" is normally the 1010 card isue. The error " axis controller does not respone to NC" usually means that there is a communication issue between the CPU and the 1010 card. That could be the 1030 buss interface, 1040 mill interface, the CPU or the 1010 card itself.

Neal

Thank you very much for the responses. Is there a way to determine the issue or is it a replace and see thing? Start with the resolver?

swap the x and y axis motor and if the problem follows the motor its the resolver

I switched X and Y axis cards last night but got confusing results at first.When I did it to see if it followed the cards is when I got the different error message-"axis does not respond to NC" on y axis but when i returned cards to original position it returned to error#1 and then error #16 with an occasional error #17 thrown in just for fun. LOL!!!
    Today I removed X resolver and found the spindle on the little motor thingy(don't you just love precise and correct terminology? ) was not smooth turning. Anyway I put it back together and everything worked till I moved X about an eighth of an inch and BAM off went e stop and on jog pops up my old friend error #16. I guess I'm safe in assuming that X resolver is toast? Brushes look very good on servo so just buy a servo? Take my chances on the servo? It sounds good when it did run. What are the secrets to proper resolver replacment? BTW guys,THANK YOU for the help!

Would it be advisable to just go ahead and replace Y resolver while I'm at it or do they normally not fail? Seems like there was coolant in x resolver at one time or the other. From the gasket and the tiny socket head screws used to retain the cap I assume they leak regularly?

I was always told to replace the resolver is the spindle of the resolver didnt spin freely.

2 resolvers and 10 minutes. This thing is getting SWEET! Thanks everyone for the help.