586,261 active members*
3,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How is this manufactured???

Question How is this manufactured???

This is a spindle OD = 7/8" with 48 splines. Is this a partial extrusion...? EDM...? Forged...? Casted...? I am lost, any help would be MUCH appreciated.

can u send me the
    drawing

i can try to help u out

oops! Forgot to attach the pic.

Thanks

it's look like they are mill with a saw.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

this can be easily done using edm machine.
    if ur left with no option other than cnc milling milling machine, the component can be done using 4th axis arrangement. but the cutter leaves its traces at the ends. length of the spline should be more than the working length.

It would be super easy to do with a rotary table and a shaper. However, they probably use a broach, knurl, or EDM.

Splines while you can make them on a edm or 4th axis they will never be 100% right

I forget the proper name of the machine a gear shop uses, I wanna say a hob.

a broach is pretty much for intenal splines. they do have them for od work as well
    We used to do thousands of parts (lathe work) splines for aircraft shafts. I can still picture the machine my vendor had but cant remember the proper name.

Hi wilson248

You have a lot of answers, You could do this your self with a manual mill a fly cutter ground to the shape of the spline, a 4 axes/ indexer or rotary table to hold the work

The hole is nothing special you could drill this part on a lathe thread Etc

The method for production would be to use a gear Hobbing machine, this process is very fast for such a spline, they can of cause be roll formed as automotive axles use this process

If you look close at the part you will see how it was done, you can even measure what the diameter of the cutter they used by the radius at the end of the spline
    Mactec54

Delw is right. Splines are commercially cut with a spline hobber. Splines CAN be cut with the proper form tool on a mill with an indexer. The form is usually an involute spline. Sometimes a straight sided spline.

Accurate splines have about the same degree of difficulty as accurate gears.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    I forget the proper name of the machine a gear shop uses, I wanna say a hob.
    If you look at where the Spline Ends on the shaft it decreases. So it would have to be a Hob (like a Barbra Coleman) or a Slot Saw.

The fastest and most accurate way to make this would be a Hob.

I would say Hob as well.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Could be done with an external rotary broach. Slater.

Check this out at Youtube.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2duvm3lPo"]YouTube- GEAR HOBBING M20/32 CITIZEN CINCOM[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by citizencnc View Post
    I have been dying to use one of these. Ever since seeing the Tsugami and the Star's this is one of the Must Does this year hopefully.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

METHODS

Quote Originally Posted by wilson248 View Post
    This is a spindle OD = 7/8" with 48 splines. Is this a partial extrusion...? EDM...? Forged...? Casted...? I am lost, any help would be MUCH appreciated.
    You have an SAE J500 SERRATION. As others have posted, may be hobbed, gear shaped, rotabroached, rolled, and so forth, here is the old data for example, current data will be close.

Cheers, Les

Post SAE J500 SPLINE

Quote Originally Posted by wilson248 View Post

You have SAE J500 spline, here is some data.

Your part as has been stated, may be hobbed shaped, rolled, in production quantaties, do it yourself; some kind of INDEXER for 48 Teeth. fly cutter ground to angles listed in data for 7/8-48t straight sided spline.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info!

Very helpful everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by citizencnc View Post
    Cool video. I used to work at a gear making company i even worked on manual hobbers. Dirty dirty work lol the hobbers ran oil coolant and even though they were "manual" it was just push a button and let them run after it was setup. They didnt have anything as fancy as the bar feed hobber in the last part of the video though. They did have the biggest gear hobber in the state and one gear they worked on was 20000 lbs . Neat to watch, but truly boring work.

For high production quantities (automotive) the process is done by rolling the splines on the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by ctate2000 View Post
    For high production quantities (automotive) the process is done by rolling the splines on the shaft.
    It all really depends on how much taper they want in the back of the spline since hobbing leaves quite a bit.