586,640 active members*
2,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 2500 sy

2500 sy

The problem I’m having with this machine might be temperature related. The live rev. tool will not disengage. It is about 32 deg. hear and this problem has happened before.

I've already applied heat, unplugged the air, and used K0.6 to try and lock the tool.

I'm sure the machine will soon start to work because this has happened every winter for 3 years. I would like to know if there is a way to set the machine so this will not happen.

Cold Enviroments

Hi there;

For most machine, the shop temperature should be around 68 to 70 degree .Sluggist operation of components that work with air and hydraulic can be effected.
    If the Mill is engage using air pressure chances are there could be moisture in the air lines. The best solution would be to have an air dryer on your air system and make sure your shop is warm enough.
    Also I would recommend a warm up cycle program before doing any work with the machine.
    Hope that this may help in your problem. Temperature is a big factor and I do suspect that it is the cause of your problem at this time.

Larry (MTSS)

Thank you.

We have an air dryer in place, and adding a heater for the night did help with the next moring.
    As far as a warm up program this machine, it has 2 splindes, 4 linear axis', and live tooling, do you have any suggestions on what should i use to warm them up as far as rpm, time, movement, and feeds?

I would at least open/close chuck and index the turret in a warm up. You need to get the hydraulic unit warmed up the most.

Warm Up Programs

Most manufactures have sample suggested warm up programs listed in the operators/ program manaul that came with the machine.
    However the key thing to keep in mind is that the machine needs to be slowly brought up to temperature.
    Run the spindles at a slow RPM and reverse directions , Moving all axis at a minimum feed rate, rotating the turret to diferent tool location and operating the live tooling several times. You can do all this in a dry run program depending on your shop temperature for at least 15 to 30 minutes each day before placing the machine into production.
    Also by doing the warm up program will make sure all components are getting the proper way lubrication which is very important.

Larry (MTSS)

If I understand you correctly you can not get your live tooling to work when it is cold. The live tooling on the 2500sy has a shaft that sticks through into the turret and is aligned by a clutch ring. There is a stationary right angle gear set to the tool position called up this shaft is driven from the back side of the turret. If you take the rear cover of you will see a belt driven pulley for the live tooling drive mechanism. Now where your problem lies is there is a short air cylinder which is used to lock the right angle gear in place so that it will line up when the turret rotates. When you use K6.0 you are actuating this cylinder. It is very possible you are icing up you air at cooler temperatures. I once worked in a forge shop that was very cold and we would fight ice getting into solenoids. If in doubt lift the top way slide and take out i believe six bolts and see if the cylinder actuates. there is also reed switches that could be looked at in the IO and i could get those addresses for you but i would need to pull up a ladder file to look since i am at home but you should be able to find them in print.

Yes this CNC is a direct drive type there is no engage/disengage of the live tool drive

as CHAD said

the piston holds the live tool in position during tool change

if it is not indexing after the orientation I would suspect the signals from the piston, the piston or the tool orientation position needs checking

next time this happens check Input signal X7.4 and e-stop the machine the pull out the tool and see if the tool orientation drive shaft is correct
    *~~Darwinian Man, though well-behaved, At best is only a monkey shaved!~~*
    *__________If you feel inclined to pay for the support you receive__________*
    *_______Please give to charity https://www.oxfam.org.au/get-involved/_______*