586,069 active members*
3,671 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie From Newfoundland

Hello All.. just registered, I've been doing alot of research as i am looking to either buy a CNC for my hobby shop. I found this site after doing a search for 'Don't Buy a CarveWright"...lol.. no offence to them...but before I buy ANYTHING... i always search for 'Don't BUY'... it give me an idea of the potential downsides. I am considering the Carvewright/CompuCarve... but I'm also considering either buying Used... or finding Plans and building one. The main purpose for wanting one is that i want to build Guitars and strumsticks... the carvewight appeals to me for 3 reasons.. 1.) it can work on board of 'Virtually any length ( BIG plus )... 2.) I am using a Mac Computer, and it's sofware is straight forward, I have downloaded it and I am a graphic designer with extensive Illustrator & photoshop experience, so it's a very small learning curve for me...and 3.) last & probably least is the price... $1600 to $2000... so there.. having said all of that... I would love to have some advice. for example.. where can I find the best plans to build the machine that meets my needs? and is there another machine in the $2000 range that is better than the compucarve system?... and is there any other Mac software that will operate a CNC...either DIY CNC or store bought?.. I know this is a long post... my apologies... but I'm very excited to get myself into the world of CNC production. Thanks In advance.

from what i understand is the compucarve is limited to the compucarve software and it won't read g code , I may be wrong but that is the impression that i have gotten . I haven't read anything good about them
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I hear ya...

Yes... I've learned alot about the Compucarve... it doesn't actually hook to your computer... you transfer your files on digital card to it.. that sorta surprised me... it means it has a small computer/processor onboard... if it linked to the computer, they could probably charge even less.. go figure huh?
    I've read good & bad...lots of bad when they first came out.... I've been on their forum, theres great support there.. and they're all very impressed with it.The picture thats starting to form for me is that it can do some nice stuff with limitations.. but you have to follow the instructions to the letter...or you will have issues.. that sorta scares me. I discovered a company advertising on here called K2-CNC, they seems to have a few smaller machines..in the $2000 to $5000 range I'm hoping someone can tell me more about them... but I'm beginning to lean towards building my own, I think I'm capable, and there seems to be lots of information,,, but I need to find what available plan is the best construct to have a go at. It will also mean running windows on my Mac but thats ok... BTW.. the first person to write a CNC program for MAC ...will be a multi-millionaire within a year.. no doubt about it. I can't believe one doesn't exist.

I've heard the k2 is pretty decent , not sure if this link may be of any help but i know the guy who developed the fireball , he is a clever and stand up guy , it's now owned by probotix , I've only heard good things about it from others and the price is pretty good http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/

if you want to build your own then there are some free plans here http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?n...category&cid=2
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Wow thanks Dertsap.. I just checked out the fireball....it looks good... I'm not sure but from what I can tell based on reading..and looking at the accessories drop down.. I can probably get the unit and every thing I need ( motors board etc ) for around $1000?... unless I'm mistaken... I wonder if it can be modified to a max length of 48" or so. I'm checking out the plans link now.. thanks

if your crafty and resourceful then you may find some helpful ideas from my build , overall I've invested a bit over $1000 into it , the x slide design is unique and something that i haven't seen anyone else try yet but it is dead solid and works well http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=23120&page=7
    the first portion of the build is a bit of a train wreck but i like to experiment and run against the grain , why do what everyone else has done