586,069 active members*
3,303 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Torchmate THC problem

I have been having an intermittent problem that is causing a lot of trouble. During a cut, the arc will stop, the tip pulls away from the material, and after a few seconds will plunge again and start cutting properly, leaving a gap in the cut.

I can cut a full sheet just fine and then ruin a whole sheet with this problem. When I run in manual mode I can get the same problem. I have replaced the smart motor and the air supply and the plasma torch are working properly.

Torchmate tech support has been very helpful trying to solve this but still no solution. They suggested that I send the thc back for diagnostics, which I would do, but there as at least 2 weeks before they say they can even diagnose the problem.

I offered to buy a new thc controller but they will only sell complete systems. Is there anyone out there who does diagnostics on this piece of electronics?

I cannot afford a one month downtime and am trying to avoid buying a new system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scbron View Post
    I have been having an intermittent problem that is causing a lot of trouble. During a cut, the arc will stop, the tip pulls away from the material, and after a few seconds will plunge again and start cutting properly, leaving a gap in the cut.

I can cut a full sheet just fine and then ruin a whole sheet with this problem. When I run in manual mode I can get the same problem. I have replaced the smart motor and the air supply and the plasma torch are working properly.

Torchmate tech support has been very helpful trying to solve this but still no solution. They suggested that I send the thc back for diagnostics, which I would do, but there as at least 2 weeks before they say they can even diagnose the problem.

I offered to buy a new thc controller but they will only sell complete systems. Is there anyone out there who does diagnostics on this piece of electronics?

I cannot afford a one month downtime and am trying to avoid buying a new system.

Thanks
    Depending how intermittent the problem is would determine how hard it would be to test yourself. I imagine one of three things is happening.

1) The Plasma cutter is shutting itself off, or believes it is receiving an off command (start loop sees open contacts) and immediately re-fires the torch. In automatic mode this would result in the torch shutting off, then moving away from the material in large steps (reading low voltage), then when the torch attempts to fire (spike in voltage) it will get closer to the material. In Manual mode the torch would stay near the material, shut off, then re-ignite.

2) The AVHC believes it is receiving an off signal (contacts reading open from Plasma Interface box) and therefore shuts the torch off and retracts to the top. In Automatic or Manual mode the torch would shut off, retract to the top, and then if it got an on signal again quickly it would come down sense the material and fire.

3) The Plasma Interface box relay is not giving a 100% contact closure, or is not receiving 5 volts DC consistently from the Signal Generator. If this 5v is lost the relay will open shutting off the AVHC resulting in the same occurrences as #2.

If the problem happens only once out of every 100 times the machine cuts, it would be very hard to diagnose which of these it is, but hopefully explaining the actions of what the system does when a certain thing happens might help you narrow the problem down.

Also any individual component of the AVHC system is available for purchase at any time, from the control Box to the Cables, to individual nuts and bolts. However spending the time in shipping and upfront cost on replacement parts seems like a poor way to diagnose a problem.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Mike, Thanks

Mike,

thank you for the info.

The problem was 100 cuts bad/200 cuts good. Intermittent at its worse.

I decided to go ahead and replace the relay inside the thc and , it appears, that was the fix. Though I may still be at 195 of my good cuts. I think not because the sound coming from the relay is stronger and I am guessing it was weak contacts.

You immediately addressed that as a possible problem and Tech Support , though extremely responsive and obviously trying to be helpful, never offered that as a possible cause. Their response was only to have me send the box back which would have resulted in a very long downtime. Understandably, they did not want me diving into the box. However, I did replace the relay and am now back in business.

For machines out of warranty, mine is 3 years old, I think that should be offered as a suggestion. Even if it was not the problem, it is an easy and inexpensive fix, and it would have eliminated it from the list of possible causes.

I really appreciate your help. I am going to print out your list of possible causes so I remember the connections of the different systems.

Also, I remain a very loyal Torchmate customer. Though this was a very frustrating process, I understand it could not be avoided and Tech Support was readily available for every one of my calls.

Thank you.

Machine Interface Relay Box

Same thing recently happened to me...the relay's contacts weren't making and breaking every time. Took the relay apart, cleaned the contacts and back in business. One note to pass along...every time I have had an issue of one sort or another, I write it down, the problem and the fix. Problems don't occur often, but when they do, it's right about the time I have to get a big order out the door. This little "cheat sheet" I'm making has come in handy.

I am currently having problems with my THC as well. Is there a thread where people have posted their problems/solutions for the Torchmate THC?

Quote Originally Posted by hmentzer View Post
    I am currently having problems with my THC as well. Is there a thread where people have posted their problems/solutions for the Torchmate THC?
    I don't believe there is a single thread about it, but if you were to post your problem here or call/email our technical support department, it probably wouldn't take long to diagnose.

-Mike
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST