586,108 active members*
3,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Memory Retention Battery ?

What kind of battery can I purchase (from Radio Shack for example) to replace the memory retention battery in my first generation VF-1? It hasn't died yet but I want to make sure I'm ready

Bruce Mowbray
    Springville, PA

Battery

This is the battery you require.
    http://www.cellpacksolutions.com/Sea...asp?ID=BR-2/3A
    Make certain that you back up all parameters and settings etc before you change the battery.
    Depending on the age of your machine, you may be able to change the battery while the machine is turned on(is usually very awkward). This would be good as you will not lose any info this way. If you remove the battery while machine is off then you will lose all data. There is an external battery socket on the board. If you can get a plug to fit the socket then you could plug another battery into the external socket while you change the battery.

If you need to know how to back up your system, then let me know and i'll give you instructions.

Hope this helps

My god I just realized I have never replaced the one in the VF4...and its now 10 years old..(nuts)
    I am going to have to go through the service manuals, but if you can do it with the machine on that's the way I want to do it.
    Here is a US friendly link to that battery.
    Panasonic Batt
    Gary

My VF1 was new in 1993 and I have yet to change the battery. According to the user manual, it is on the processor board which is behind two other boards. I can see it with a mirror. Also according to the manual, there are two pins (P-7 and P-6) on that board where one can attach a temporary battery while changing. This will aloow the battery change without having the machine powered up. Thanks for the links, I have two ordered.

Now if I can just find a Virtual Gibbs post processor to replace my old unreadable floppy disc on, I'll be set.

Bruce Mowbray
    Springville, PA

MEMORY BOARD / BATTERY CHANGE
    This is the first time im going to do this ... so ,i dont want to lose ... I will apreciate your help
    *i have an OKUMA CADET M . OSP 7000 . is there any way to find batteries in stores like radioshack?
    *i couldnt find the voltage of the battery , I have not extracted the battery yet ... i have the restart floppyes , and a little of instructions information .
    *i know the default post procesor of the machine is a FANUC , but i work with the MASTERCAM post procesor , i realy dont know if there is a way to change this on my machine or if it is going to read it without changing anything , after changing the battery or in case of restart(reload) parameters
    * how do i know if there is any information stored on the memory that i can lose , what kind of information is ?

*Forgive my ignorance, but really I want to understand this to do it well