586,111 active members*
3,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New arrival VM-10

After a short delay from the shipping company, the new Hurco VM-10 arrived. Due to a height limitation Hurco removed the Z-axis and tool changer motors prior to shipment. The riggers did an excellent job of getting the machine in my shop with 1” of head height to spare.

Walt from Hurco came up from Florida to do the install and reassemble the machine a few days later. His patience and expertise was invaluable while we worked thru a few issues and watched me trim 2” from a floor joist. Everything worked out well and Walt was the on his way.

Skip From Applied Machine Solutions came in to do the training a couple of days later and since this is my first CNC mill he had his work cut out for him. He modified his training routine to incorporate my current jobs as training scenarios. I feel confidant that Skip left me with the basics to get started with a few more jobs that I have coming up in the near future.

I’ll be posting many questions in the future so be gentle.

So far my experience with Hurco, Walt and Skip have be exceptional!

Congrats! You'll love it. I've got a VM1 and enjoy it. Walt is a heck of a great guy he was in my shop a few weeks ago installing some updates. Hurco support is great as well. I was told you could shoehorn one into a garage, glad to see that it's true! One suggestion, the complete machine manual is on the control in a .pdf file. Download it and print it out, it will fit in a 2" binder, makes learning a little easier.

Actually the machine went in my basement along with a Mazak QT-8, Bridgeport, several Hardinge machines and all the other necessary equipment.

I had a chance to review the CD it has some examples on it but I was wondering where the manual was! I like having the help feature on control but nothing like having a hard copy in hand.

Most likely the first job I'll be doing on it will be a thread milling op once I get some fixtures built.

Check the CD that came with the machine. The programming manuals are on it, along with directions to print them out.

i.e.. CD Drive Letter:\704-0202-004 CD Ass'y\704-0202-111\documents\VM10 Manual List.pdf

I was able to down load the PDF from the machine but there are several versions of what appear to be the same manual ie, WinMax mill NC r0116-301b, WinMax mill NC r0116-301c, WinMax mill NC r0116-301d, with only a slight difference in file size. At first glance they look like the same info, does any one know the difference?

Congrats you have discovered the files are in fact the same, with a subtle difference, the ending letter i.e. d would be revision "d" the higher the rev the more recent revision. You may want to review the "WinMax Mill Conversational r0116-xxx" for learning the Conversational programming power of the WinMax control.

Also use the "WinMax Mill Start r0116-xxxx"