502,104 active members
8,026 visitors online
Register for free
Login
    Registered

No reset after fault?

Will the Pico Gecko Interface card let you fault a step/direction servo drive in EMC2 and still keep the Zero positions? It looks like you could stall out a drive and still get back to the Zero positions without indicating again. This is huge for me if it works that way. Am I reading this right?

I have Larkin Viper 200 step/direction drives instead of Gecko's but it looks like I can substitute them for the Gecko's without any problems.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by greeder88 View Post
    Will the Pico Gecko Interface card let you fault a step/direction servo drive in EMC2 and still keep the Zero positions? It looks like you could stall out a drive and still get back to the Zero positions without indicating again. This is huge for me if it works that way. Am I reading this right?
    Yes, that is exactly the idea. Since the encoders are fed back to the computer through the
    Universal Stepper Controller, the computer knows the position even when the Gecko drives are
    turned off. This does also require the Pico Systems Stepper Controller board.
    I have Larkin Viper 200 step/direction drives instead of Gecko's but it looks like I can substitute them for the Gecko's without any problems.
    Well, I don't know about the Larken drives. The fault detect, reset and encoder connections were all designed around the Gecko 320 drive, and I don't know if the Larken works exactly the same way.
    Looking at their docs, it might be close enough to the way the Gecko 320 Err/Res pin works that it will work, possibly with a resistor or diode between the Larken drive and our Gecko interface.

Jon