586,067 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Loud Spindle Bearings

Loud Spindle Bearings

I have had my NM-135 for a couple months now and since day one the spindle bearings have been way louder than I thought they should have been. Harry at Novakon told me that they would break in but they have not gotten any quieter. One thing I did was loosen the spindle belt because it was ridiculously tight from the factory. This helped some but the bearings still "growl" when taking any decent sized cut.

This video is a 0.050" deep pass in 6061 with a 1/2" 4 flute carbide mill at 6000 RPM and 10 ipm with coolant. The noise gets worse at any faster speeds or deeper cuts.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5085/Loud_Mill.wmv

Is anyone else experiencing spindle noise like this? Ideas?

Harmonics

Some of that noise is the Milling but the other noise could be Inferior Spindle bearings. Chuinese Bearings are NOT the greatest, On some chinese machinery i have worked on (NOT Novokon Yet) I have found substantial amount of swarf chips INSIDE the units prior to ever turning them on. May of gotten gritt chips in the bearings somehow,. warranty claim?

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    warranty claim?
    I told Khai about the noise problem, among others, shortly after setting up the mill. Harry got back to me and said it was normal and they would settle down after some use. Since they are still loud as hell I think I will lean on them some more to see what they can do for me.

:wee:

Spindle

Best to get spindle repair done now, well before warranty period is up. After this period, you will lose out and either have to pay for repair, or be content with your noisy spindle that performs poorly and stops prematurely. Proper repair would be very expensive (probably 1/2 the cost of the machine) so neither the manufacturer, the distributor or you will want to do this. So I suspect you will get a "bearing change" to your spindle or you will get an exchange spindle. Either way, you still only have until the warranty period to do something about this fix (if it happens to be problematic like the first).

David
    www.precisionspindleinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear View Post
    I told Khai about the noise problem, among others, shortly after setting up the mill. Harry got back to me and said it was normal and they would settle down after some use. Since they are still loud as hell I think I will lean on them some more to see what they can do for me.

:wee:
    the noise when its not cutting in that video seems normal. thats how the one i use sounds. the nm200 has large tapered roller bearings, its moderately loud at high speed. the noise cutting is.. well, cutting - doesnt sound like bearing noise to me in the video.