586,106 active members*
3,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile 5 years later

After more than 5 long years, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts on this board. I have been a lurker quite often and typically used email over board posting, so my numbers are quite low. But the information and people on this site make it one of the best cnc resources on the web.

My recommendation for anyone wanting to get into CNC is to just just dive right in. Any way to get your foot in the door will start you on your journey. I started off with just a couple years of electrical engineering drafting under my belt. Then taught myself MasterCAM out of a self study book in the evenings, learned G-code on my own, then convinced a machine shop to give me a chance. I excelled to third year pay after only 3 months because I put my heart and soul into every machine cycle. I have a background in computer programming and this no doubt gave me the edge and a foot in the door to get rolling, but it was through the shear persistence that I prevailed.

I have been programming Komo CNC's in the woodworking industries for over 4 years now and provide contracting services in AutoCAD, Cabinet Vision, Cabnetware, Komo RouterCIM, ArtCAM and anything else related. All this in only a couple years. There is nothing like carving a $1500 per sheet of Corian and having a custom professional product under your belt.

Follow your dreams. Do what you love and the money will follow. And when in doubt, run the simulation first!

In my spare time, I author a technology website: www.smrt1.ca
    Any questions, feel free to drop me a line.
    Cheers,
    Bradford

Hey Brad,
    I remember your name from the CW site and the CV site. I just joined this forum today.
    Yep, I am doing just like you said, jumping in! I picked an old MotionMaster with a Fagor 8025/8030 controller and I am trying to get a post processor from Cabnetware. They said they only have an 8055. This is all Geek to me, but I am very computer literate and I am a fast learner. I have been using Cabnetware since 1987 and I am one of the top Beta testers for them.
    I hope this forum will help me out in the start up process.

Thanks,
    Todd Stowell

5 years and 3 posts? Dude, where have you been? (chair)

Oh well, I'm sure you will start to help out when you can...

Paul

Welcome Aboard

Hey Todd,
    Sure, I definitely remember you.
    Welcome to the board.
    I've done two integrations with Planit CW/CV/S2M and hoping to get a few more under my belt. I love the challenge and excitement of setting up a new system. I'm setup in Nelson, BC as a full time freelancer/contractor specializing in AutoCAD, CNC, CW & CV.
    This board is a great resource.

I have been a lurker and helping more in real life than having time to post unfortunately, but I have sent my fair share of private messages on CNCzone. My post count is a lot better on the Planit CW and CV boards.
    But I can see this being a better resource for me to start contributing too in the future.
    SMRT 1 Canada Ltd. --> http://www.smrt1.ca
    Be a smart one, think green.