586,110 active members*
3,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Please point me in direction of suppliers, and plans for a modest router that can do

Please point me in direction of suppliers, and plans for a modest router that can do

Please point me in direction of suppliers parts, and plans for a modest router that can do aluminum, and mild steel. I want to have a do it myself build, and have good components at a fair price. I have seen a few plans that give you prints to build one that looks KA but you need to have custom cut parts, or bent. I just want to purchase parts I can not fab up with a saw, plasma cutter, welder, and basic tools.I tend to follow the spend once method from experience but have seen a vast price range for similar components.
    I am interested in a 2'x4' or 4'x4' set up. I will enjoy links, and personal advice. Also please tell me what to stay away from.
    Thank you for you time.

Because everything in life is a compromise Modest Routers, which may not have the dynamic rigidity of a Milling Machine, use high speed spindles which are not really suitable for cutting mild steel parts - they basically excel at cutting wood and plastic parts.
    I built my own CNC Router but I also have a benchtop CNC milling machine and between the two can make most of the small parts I require - however, neither machine is good at doing the other's job.
    If you have the time, take a look at my website http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

"spend once method"

If you truly want to follow that motto, building a router to cut steel is way off.
    You need a milling machine.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

If precision steel machining is your DIY goal then you should buy a used knee mill and do a CNC conversion on it. It will be the correct machine for your aluminum and steel cutting needs.

A DIY wood router is totally the wrong machine to build for this. Though some of these can do a decent job on aluminum, they usually have a mini-mill spindle on them, not a wood router.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com