586,113 active members*
3,545 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Gibbs post for turboCNC?

Gibbs post for turboCNC?

Hello, all.

I have been using a lower end software product that shall remain nameless to run my mill at home. I am tired of it crashing my computer, doing BAD, BAD imports of 3D objects, and building toolpaths that are not even a good starting point for hand editing.

We have gibbs at work, and I was thinking I could use that system to import my solidworks models and then generate my Gcode, take it home on a disk, and run it.

I am not seeing a "turbocnc" option for postprocessors (it is almost like they expect people who have spent thousands of $$ on software to buy real machine controllers).

I talked to our guy who usually uses Gibbs, and he said "I think that you could set up your own with PostHaste". I took a look at posthaste, even took home the instruction manual for a little "light" reading (yea, right) and am now more lost than I was to begin with.

Does anybody know how to do this? Is there a tutorial on the web anywhere? Has anybody set up a post for turboCNC that they might be willing to send me? It would save a lot of trouble and earn you my undying appreciation (now theres a reward)!!

I have used posts such as fanuc and haas in different cam programs to post my code, then I edit what needs editing. I usually have it do one opperation at a time and combine them manually putting the codes I need in there and taking out what I dont.

Jon

Is that the only way of being able to run Fanuc or Haas on TurboCNC? Would it be possible to create a post in Gibbs to work with TurboCNC?

I have never created a post, but if you know how to write code manually, its really not too difficult to cut and paste code.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by warpedmephisto
    Is that the only way of being able to run Fanuc or Haas on TurboCNC? Would it be possible to create a post in Gibbs to work with TurboCNC?
    if your copy of gibbs at work is legal (no matter if your current in you maintenence.) the gibbs guys will modify any post you want (the haas post is a good start) to the specs you want. Realy wild changes will cost money, but simple changes they usually do for free.

I would call the gibbs guys they have always been very helpfull to me.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Hi send me some code that you use on your Turbocnc and I will see if I have any
    Gibbs Posts that will be close to start Then you can send it to Gibbs Tec to have
    the changes done. My email [email protected]
    Just send a short program

Is the code output for TurboCNC way different from standard fanuc or haas G-code?
    http://smackaay.com
    Visit my site

A TurboCNC file is in this format:

{DAKCNC3.0}
    comment area, anything can be placed here
    any number of lines.
    {PROGRAM START}
    N1...
    N2...

{PROGRAM END}

Notes:
    Include the {} with the three lines shown above.
    N code at line start is optional
    TurboCNC does not currently support tool comp (G41,G42) so program the tool center.

Bill

Hi wjbzone
    I have a post that is custom for me that will work for almost any control
    it needs 2 more changes and it should be done this will produce good clean code
    2-1/2D not 3D at this point from Gibbs send me your email address and I will send
    you the post to try.mactec54

I used the Haas the other day, theres was just a couple of m codes that had to be deleted, (TurboCNC will run the program and prompt the you when it doesent understand a command) other than that it worked fine. The feed rates had to be changed too, but I edit 100% anyway so its fine for me the way it is.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)