586,055 active members*
4,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pattern Making

I hope that theres already a ton of info on the subject here, and i just can't find it.

I'm interested in learning to design Patterns, specifically Match Plate patterns. Any takers?

as a hobby founder for 25 years i can say thhat patterns are the hardest part. no one will do them for you and info on doing them yourself is scarce. Try Lindsay's tech books www.lindsaybks.com i think. He has reprints of a lot of the tech school books from the early 1900's on foundry and patternmaking. Hope this helps
    In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

Patternmaking like machining are jobs you mainly learn by doing.AFS printed a "patternmakers manual ".This has the most general information that I am aware of in print.

As far as I know there is very little on this subject in print that is, step by step instructions for building match plates. If you can, conceptualize a picture in your mind of a positive and negative impression of the shape including cores and gating and risers you have a basic match plate. Take the shape in 3d and cut it at the inside surface line and you have it's match. The positive is in the cope and the negative in the drag sections of a mold. The idea is to cast both surfaces in one shot, on one plate without a parting line. Not easy to do but once you get the concept you'll have it for life. I worked for thirty five years as a Master Wood Pattern Maker. PM me if you require further assistance.

I am currently working on tooling to produce CO2/silicate bonded sand molds that are made up independently and glued together like a single shot diecast but without the die. Registration will be built directly into the sand half mold so that mating halves fit together well. Sort of like a matchplate method but without the matchplate. Will post pictures once first tooling is completed.
    David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

Old books, Talk to your foundry, and New books

To learn about the specifics of match plates talk to the foundry that you will get to run your match plates on their automated lines. Talk to the producers of the aluminum match plates that the foundries buy their match plates from. That is what I'm doing to prepare for the machining and production of my match plate patterns.

Look at the sizes here, and they can tell you which are the most common sizes; http://www.fcare.net/foundry.html

You need to make the plates to a std. and commonly used size so they will run at more than one foundry, just incase you need the option to move your patterns to another foundry some day later.

The way to learn about basic pattern making rules is to search "Google Books", its a scanning project of all the old copyright expired books, and its great! I bet you can find THE book you need for the pattern making part of your project by searching thier, in fact I searched one for you, look at this one;

http://books.google.com/books?id=LPF...page&q&f=false

Copy all the good books from your searches to your hard drive and there you go, instant pattern and foundry practice library in your home.

Now if you need info on the modern practices like the new pattern materials like; "REN shape" and the various PVC boards, you will have to buy a new book from AFS. The book from AFS will probably cost you a fortune so brace yourself. You can also search the net for articles in old issues of "Modern Casting" and keep them in a folder until you get all that you need, which is every one ever published, right.

You can find what you need, so get after it.

Pattern Making: try it-you will like it!!

My foray into pattern making was necessitated by a desire to design & build a custom
    benchtop mill on a budget. My first attempt was a very rewarding experience, and so for many
    years I have been encouraging anyone with similar interests to do the same.

Enclosed is my rudimentary Pattern Making Guide which covers the basics necessary to get started.

The Photo's enclosed detail my latest effort. See my thread # 42227 for several other patterns & castings.

W. Smith, Mission Viejo, CA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Concept-Bridgemill- 01.jpg   Pattern Making A01.jpg   Pattern Making-A02.jpg   Pattern Making-A03.jpg  

Pattern Making-A04.jpg   Pattern Making-A05.jpg  

Pattern/Casting Photo's

Comments & constructive criticism Appreciated on my thread !

Don't want to Hi Jack this thread, Just pass on info........
    Thanks.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bridge Mill -01.jpg   Matchplates-01.jpg   Base & Bridge Columns-02 (copy).jpg   Bases & Bridge Columns-03 (copy).jpg  

Bridge Mills A-01.jpg   Bridge Mills A-06.jpg