586,121 active members*
3,624 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4th axis and suggestions/questions

Scott,

As per your questions in the other thread, graphically would be the first priority. As editing A moves, in my opinion, can be handled completely in the text window. I wouldn't think any special editing tools (like the pocket 'wizard') would be needed. I'm not sure what would need to be added as far as options for different machine setups. But axis of rotation, Z offset for point of rotation, etc. comes to mind.

Now for the questions/suggestions.

When I open a file (.nc) that is approximately 300k the program 'stalls' for about 20-30 seconds. Almost as though it has locked up. Is this normal?

Also, when doing a search, after hitting 'find next' several times, I get a runtime error. Something about overflow.

And now just a couple quick questions because I'm too lazy to look for myself ...is there any way to adjust the simulation window? If I maximize it, the window does maximize, but everything in it stays the same size. And within the graphics window, is there any way to adjust the view? other than using the scale or the X and Y sliders? I guess a better way to ask, is there a way to get a perspective view of the tool path as it's simulated. This would be something that would probably have to be looked at if you do decide to try to add 4th axis capability.

And I'd like to add that I think this is a pretty good program given the additional functions that are included. And not to mention the price tag is pretty attractive. My comments and questions here aren't meant to only 'show the flaws', just a few ways that I think could give some improvement to an already great program.

Dustin

Dustin,

The program stalling issue is caused by several things. First of all, this is a visual basic program which is not going to be as fast as say a C++ program. Another thing is that the program is actually run twice when it is first loaded. The first time is to determine its view extents, then it is actually drawn. Finally, computer speed is a big factor. If you're running windows 98 on a 300Mhz laptop, it's not going to be very fast.

I haven't run into the overflow thing, but I will try to figure this one out.

I'm not sure about any problems with the view window... Did you try setting your view to Isometric? Or try any of the zoom tools? Maybe a screenshot would be helpful in explaining the problem.

As far as 4th axis goes, this is probably a 'down the road' thing, unless I get inspired .

Regards,
    Scott

Well I have always been man enough to admit when I have messed up. And I still haven't figured out how I could have made this mistake, but I have.

Scott, I have to say that I'm sorry. Somehow I was starting another program thinking it was NCPlot. (nuts) (chair) The comments I made were about that program. Talk about embarrassing

All the things mentioned in my earlier post of course are nonissues with the little time I've had to play with NCPlot. Except the 4th axis stuff.

I do like the NCPlot better than the other program I was starting. Sorry Scott.

No problem, it's actually a relief. Let me know if you do have trouble.

Scott