586,075 active members*
3,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Clausing Colchester Apron Problem

I have a 1963, 15x45 Clausing Colchester Conventional lathe. While running the carriage back the other day, I experienced a binding feel. After freeing the movement, I now have the floating engage lever not following the carriage when moving toward the chuck. It stays in place while traveling away, but will free float on the shaft when manually moving toward the chuck. If I lift it into the engagement slot it will smoothly follow the apron, but left down, it will not.
    I have no manuals on this machine, and did not find any information on this type of problem in a search of the forum, if anyone has any experience with something like this I would be grateful for any input.
    I would add that the machine still functions fine when the feed is engaged, it only affects when you are manually moving the apron.

Thank you in advance
    Paul. G.

Hi paul gibson

Some photos may help
    Mactec54

Paul,the older Colchesters with the floating cradle arrangement are subject to a fair bit of wear after a while.The handle you lift up is attached to the cradle which pivots on the feed shaft.Within the cradle is a spur and worm gear combined for transfering the feed motion from the shaft to the apron.The holes in the cradle which is cast iron are not bushed and wear badly and at the same time burr over the keyway in the feed shaft.This causes the binding.Cleaning up the keyway and lubricating the shaft help but it really needs the apron dismantled and the cradle replaced or bushed to completely rectify the problem.
    You might find a manual on the Metalillness site.
    Mark.

Thanks for the input. I was postponing any disassembly to inspect the source until I had some responses that might spare me the task. Have rebuilt a 46 south bend from a basket case to a working unit, but there is always a spring, or pin or floating component, that you didn't know about until you tear into it. Always appreciate the wisdom of others when tackling something with out a manual. Will stop by Metal Illness, and see what they have.

Thanks

P.G.

similar problem.

Hi Paul, How are you doing at solving the problem with your apron? maybe I can learn something as this thread prgresses,I just bought an old colchester like yours and I don't know much about it. Been seaching for other owners on various sites and not finding many.
    I don't want to hijack your thread but I thought I would post here because you are already discussing the colchester apron. The problem I'm dealing with seems to be with the half nut when you try to disengage it, it binds up. When you move the carriage up or down the bed you can hear it clanking as the half nut kind of rides on the lead screw and when half nut is engaged the saddle can be moved back and forth about a 1/2" or so. I'd like to take it apart tomorro but not sure how to get the apron off. I sure would appreciate some advice. I also would like to know what you think of this machine in general. Mine is not even under power yet, I would like to run it off a VFD but the 2 speed motor has me a little stumped.