586,067 active members*
5,116 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

changing color

Is it possible to change the part color?

I don't see a way to change any of the colors in Gibbs 2004 but it's been a long time since I have used Gibbs and I'm just getting back up to speed.

jon

Why do you need to change the color?
    If its just for apearance, you can change the solid name in that solids properties.

I get files from different programs that I import. They import in say blue. I want to change color because I can see better with different colors depending on what I have for a part. Other Cam programs have this ability so I figured Gibbs would too.

Quote Originally Posted by hogman
    Why do you need to change the color?
    Having different colored solids or other geometry makes it much easier to work with the file. You can only do so much with layers/levels.

This is a very simple part. Imagine if it were actually complex. (I get these with several times the features you see on this part, and colors make it much easier to group things)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails multi-color.jpg   single-color.jpg  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Basically thats the reason.

Matt,

Someone I know who uses Gibbs is partially color blind. What does someone do if they use Gibbs and they are partially color blind and can't change colors because Gibbs doesn't allow it ?

Perhaps the National Association Of Color Blind People needs to contact Gibbs on behalf of their members because it appears to me they are being badly discriminated against.

Just a joke there Gibbs Product Loyalists. Nothing to start foaming at the mouth about. ;>)

Seriously though, this needs to be fixed in Gibbs.

Off Topic: Matt, the company I now work for builds sand rail parts as a side line. Is the sand rail in the picture yours ? If so, who makes it ? If you need parts for your own use or want any info on what we make let me know.

jon ([email protected])

I personally don't see the concern, there are three colours available for solids in Gibbs , blue, gray and red. Why does it need to incorporate all the colours of the rainbow. I have programmed many complicated parts in gibbs quite effectively despite this apparent hardship. I hope this lack of colour choice doesn't cause the same problem at traffic lights - just kidding.

I always found the lack of color selection a problem... seeing regular geometry is really hard for me to see because blue doesn't show up well for me, thus I often have to highlight geometry just to see what it is exactly.
    http://smackaay.com
    Visit my site

Hmm ... funny thing is our development is done considering those that are color blind. Several here are color blind and make a lot of noise when they can't figure out what is what. Choosing colors for things is a lot more challenging than you might think.

That said, look for some possible changes in the future. Not much, but some possible changes.