586,113 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Software questions

I am trying to figure out my best choice at a reasonable cost/ease of use for design and CAM software. I purchased a license for Mach3 today, so that end of things is set.

My goal is to make some signs, some carved out words (Believe, Achieve, etc.), cut some 2D shapes for a future machine and clocks, some plaques with bible verses or other quotations, and stuff like that.

In terms of design software, I have Autocad 14, but I find it rather cumbersome to learn. For me, it is not at all intuitive. Maybe it just can do too much. So I have been thinking about buying Corel Draw, which I have used a long time ago. However, I read posts here that say the export formats available in Corel Draw do not plug in well to many CAM programs (does it export in DXF?). The thing I like about it, is its relative ease of use, plus it is more oriented to having some design elements which would jazz up signs...I think. So what does everyone think about Corel Draw for this use?

For CAM software, I have the free version of Cambam, but it really doesn't feel too newby-friendly to me. And I wonder if the free version has enough features. Yes, I know there is a pro version, but it seems to me that Cut2D may be a better choice for the $$ from all the references I have read here (I think VCarvePro would be ideal, but out of my price range). I also like the idea that Cut2D can import graphic files (bmp, jpg, etc) and read them. Any advice here?

Some of my confusion comes from the blurring between design programs and CAM programs. There seems to be a trend to combine some of each function in certain packages (VCarvePro, Cambam, etc), without including the full functionality needed...but that that may be just my lack of understanding exactly what is in these programs.

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

First step download the Vectric trial software, it is full version will let you even cut sample..
    I built my machine 3 years ago Joes2006 . I bought VCarve pro and photoVcarve.

I had absolutely no knowledge of CNC before I built it and no CAD/Cam experience

I have been making some cool stuff. the Vectric software is the best investment I have made.
    I have since bought Aspire also .. like I said download and try the learning curve is not steep at all and if you have and questions the support from Vectric and the forum is the best

Good luck enjoy ..
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/17611327@N04/
    link to some stuff I have made using Vectric software

Hey calgrdnr - thanks for the comments. Hmmm, maybe I should spring for VCarvePro. Question: do you use any design software, or can you do all the design you need right inside VCarvePro?

And by the way - I checked out your build log and pictures of your work. All look great.

ArtCAM is another one... http://www.artcam.com/

Paul

I do everything via the Vectric software .. the Lithophanes done using PhotoVcarve then importing into Vcarve Pro.

I can now do everything in Aspire. Aspire has everything Vcarve Pro does plus the ability to create 2.5 D items it is by far the best software for the monies .. Yes I understand budgets .. if you can get V carve pro, I think you will be most happy ? then after you make some monies and think you can afford Aspire you will be that much ahead of the game .... If you can only get Cut2d by all means start with that .. I am sure you will be happy ...

as stated Vectric software best monies I have ever spent. I have never got so much value out of anything I have bought, to include my great little machine.
    I would of never have got as much enjoyment out of my machine if I would of had to struggle learning how to use it...

with Vectric software I design , save toolpath for Mach3 and I am off to the races

Download the software http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...d_products.htm

As stated before you will not find a better company to work with , and a great bunch of peeps on the forum ....

Look forward to seeing you on the Vectric forum... ask and learn just like the rest of us do
    http://www.vectric.com/forum/

Kent