586,635 active members*
3,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > complete newbie with q's about hobby cnc order

complete newbie with q's about hobby cnc order

Hello, I am a complete newbie. I am looking to order the cnc kit from hobbycnc.com I'm torn between which set of steppers to get. I"m thinking that they 127oz ones will be enough but for only 30 dollar difference now would it be worth the 200 oz ones. What differences do you think i'll see. As for the application, I"m looking to mill pbc and mdf maybe once in a blue moon aluminium (quite possibly not). Most likely i'll start with a simple wooden frame later could move up to something more precise, using the simple machine to help build the better one. probably use simple threaded rod from homedepo. If anyone has any input please do feel free to share, i'm still feeling my way through this and any help would be great. One other question was about the 8020 aluminium, how cost effective is it? Any other brands that are cheeper, 8020 seems expensive. THanks in advance.
    -Ryan

for the extra $30 i would buy the 200ozin stepper motors. second depending on what your doing 6061 aluminum is more standard and more readily available than 8020. its probably cheaper too

I can't eally recommend HobbyCNC due to there poor support. Before you rush in and purchase, i suggest to check out other suppliers.

...just my 2 cents.

I'm also thinking of buying the hobbycnc kit. Also a newbie to the DIY CNC thing. (although, I've thought about it for years)

My question is: Other than the obvious, what's the difference between the 3-axis and 4-axis boards?

It seems the board numbers are the same. Do they only supply enough components to populate 3-axis out of the four when you purchase the 3-axis version? Can you upgrade to the 4th axis by adding additional components? I don't know if I will eventually use the 4th axis, but it would be nice to be able to "upgrade" later.

Yes the board itself is a 4 axis board and they do not include the 4th set up components. Dave does,or at least did offer a upgrade for it. As for his support, second to none. He is always right there to help and answer you questions. I have a 3 axis board of his and I operate my sherline with it, and it works flawless.

I would by another one if it would run what I need for CadCut machine, but It want :-(
    Donald

complete newbie with q,s about HobbyCNC order

I bought the 4 axis HobbyCNC board with the plan of using the 4th axis in the future. Never regretted the decision. Also, my experience is that the support for the board and all the other items Dave Rigotti sells is top notch. When you buy from Dave you become a member of the HobbyCNC support page. He answers any and all questions from members, usually within the hour, and even on saturday and sunday. Some have bough 3 or 4 boards from HobbyCNC; can't ask for a better indicator of quality than that. PS. I don't know DAve and have no connection with HobbyCNC other than being a satisfied customer.

The product is great, easy to put together, and the support is thru the Yahoo groups forum for HobbyCNC. Dave will not sell out his business to satisfy some people who are searching for schematics.

I am currently running the 3 axis board with Keling 250 oz in 3amp motrors. Runs good, no regrets. Well done Dave.

I am on my second board. I broke a part when assembling the first board. Emailed Dave and he sent out a replacement part at no charge.

No difference in the 3-axis and 4-axis boards just the number of components. I have both.

Quote Originally Posted by tq9516pjm
    I can't eally recommend HobbyCNC due to there poor support. Before you rush in and purchase, i suggest to check out other suppliers.

...just my 2 cents.
    I'm curious why you say this?

Dave Rigotti
    HobbyCNC.com

Thanks for the replies.

Now I just have to decide which kit to buy.

Any opinios on if the full CNC package with hook-up wire and fan, etc. is worth the extra $40?

Quote Originally Posted by NIL8r
    Thanks for the replies.

Now I just have to decide which kit to buy.

Any opinios on if the full CNC package with hook-up wire and fan, etc. is worth the extra $40?
    Absolutely it is. Saves a bunch of time and money. ONLY included with the package are the step by step instructions for interconnecting the power supply, etc. Also the case templates are a BIG time saver. Just buy the recommended tranny and PacTec case and you're in business. No trips to Radio Shack required for misc stuff like heat shrink tubing, no trips to the hardware store for screws and nuts. ALSO included is a heat sink, NOT included with the driver board/stepper COMBO.

Simple...spend $40 bucks and save a ton of time and effort!

Dave Rigotti
    HobbyCNC.com

I agree with Dave there 100%

Now, how can I convince Dave to make one that will power bigger stepper, say 640+ ?
    Donald

I've been fairly happy with my hobbycnc board. I originally purchased the 80oz motors, and then upgraded to the 200oz ones. Save yourself the trouble and just start with the 200oz.
    Andy
    CNC Kits - http://www.comptonsoft.com/cncweb/

Dave,
    I think you have an excellent product and I was ready to buy, but assembling the board from scratch... I'll have to pass.

for the price the HobbyCNC kit is very good hands down, It runs my CNC Model 2006 with no problems, and even the heavy version of it, I'm running it at 80ipm which is pleanty fast enough for mdf hdpe and other material i cut.

Go with the upgrade it is the best choice.

Joe

Dave gives the absolutely best support after the sale I have ever seen even when it turns out that you are an absolute moron like I was, he still helps with a smile. I can't recommend any one more highly. save yourself the trouble in the future and spend the $30 up front. You might not realize it now, but, you'll be glad you did later.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che
    for the price the HobbyCNC kit is very good hands down, It runs my CNC Model 2006 with no problems, and even the heavy version of it, I'm running it at 80ipm which is pleanty fast enough for mdf hdpe and other material i cut.

Go with the upgrade it is the best choice.

Joe
    Thanks Everyone. I would say that you've all convinced me to go with the HobbyCNC setup.

Has anyone used the 4th-axis for a rotary avis? Would the 200oz steppers be strong enough for cutting a helical flute in spindles? What about cutting in oak or plywood?

Joe, At 80 ipm, what size cutter are you using at that feed rate? What is your depth of cut?