586,913 active members*
2,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: usb adaptors

usb adaptors

When I bought Bobcad V23, I bought a hp laptop and loaded bobcad for the
    3-day class in Las Vegas. When they finally came out with a manual, I bought it and relearned how to use it. Page 343 of book two says usb ports are not recommended but my laptop only has usb ports. Anybody know of an adaptor that works and will allow me to communicate with my HAAS VFOE? All my baud rates and parity and stuff matches. Thanks

The usb to serial solution is not allways reliable. I would use a "Express card" or I believe its called a "PCI Card" to usb or a docking station. My laptop has an express to serial card, note that this is a slide in card usually from the side of you computer.

USB system is fine, I regularly dripfeed programs of around 9,500 lines of code without any problems to a Mill with Fanuc control. Program runs for around 1.5 Hours and I usually do that item in batches of 50 and not had any issues so far.
    Most quality USB/Serial adapters are OK to use, I will look up the make of mine when I go in to the shop later and post here for you.

However that is using a Desktop PC, the problems usually come from trying to use a Laptop computer and USB, due to the way that Laptop technology works to save power usage there can be interuptions in the Data flow both when uploading and/or dripfeeding large programs sometimes causing the programs to be corrupted and either the machine just stops and alarms out mid program or can even "crash" in extreme cases!!

It doesn`t seem to make a lot of difference if it`s USB, PCI Card or straight Serial connection assuming decent quality hardware it is usually down to the way the Laptops work where the problems lie!!

Basically if a Laptop is to be used then it should be run from mains electric power source and not it`s internal battery and ALL power saving, screen savers etc, etc should be disabled during data transfer for best results.

FYI I do run a Lathe with Fanuc control from an IBM R40 Laptop and I don`t have any problems but it is set up as above!!

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hershey8 View Post
    When I bought Bobcad V23, I bought a hp laptop and loaded bobcad for the
    3-day class in Las Vegas. When they finally came out with a manual, I bought it and relearned how to use it. Page 343 of book two says usb ports are not recommended but my laptop only has usb ports. Anybody know of an adaptor that works and will allow me to communicate with my HAAS VFOE? All my baud rates and parity and stuff matches. Thanks
    Depending on your laptop, use a PCMCIA card, Express Card formats - 54 and 34. An Express Card/34 will fit into an Express Card/54 slot, but not visa versa.
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

My USB/Serial adapter is a GR_CABEL brand, here is a link to their online shop.

http://www.gr-kabel.com/index.php/ka...in_-__18m.html

I can honestly say it has never given me a moments hassle since I bought it.

Rob

Rob, your link is giving me deja vu

I would like to find a validated adapter as well.
    I tried the USB to serial route last year and just couldn't get a reliable setup.
    Although I just tried some ebay and local cheapies.

moldmker

Quote Originally Posted by moldmker View Post
    Rob, your link is giving me deja vu

I would like to find a validated adapter as well.
    I tried the USB to serial route last year and just couldn't get a reliable setup.
    Although I just tried some ebay and local cheapies.

moldmker

Doh!! Try it now!!!

FYI It was only about £10 GBP, around $16 USD!!

Rob

Predator recommended brand and model

KEYSPAN USB to SERIAL ADAPTER

KEYSPAN.com
    Model 19HS