586,071 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 10 123

immanent divorce build

To set the tone. I became interested in CNC a year ago when i started flying rc planes. Since then i managed to get a laser cutter at work and that was not enough. I need soothing at home lol. I was unable to find 17k so i went this route. I convinced my wife that it would only take 800$ to build this machine. (nuts) so far im in 1200$ haha. I purchased a cut kit from joe himself and im purchasing the hobbycnc pro BOB and 3 steppers at 300oz. Soon as the kit arrives ill post pics and progress. I hope to have many comments to keep me from spending to much more. I would like to stay married .. To be honest im not sure i can pull this off. I have no choice now haha.

While im waiting on my parts to arrive, what do people use for there end mills. Im trying to cut foam (aka depron and blucore) and light ply and balsa. I have not order any cutting head yet and think its time to pick a couple to get started.

I never asked how long shipping takes. I fugure 3 weeks from other post. I feel like its christmass night.

Well at least if you get divorced you will still have the machine

As for end mills I normally cut MDF, plywood, cutting board plastic and foam core (sign material) with upcut bits from Whiteside tools.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post

As for end mills I normally cut MDF, plywood, cutting board plastic and foam core (sign material) with upcut bits from Whiteside tools.

Jason
    Sounds good ill order 1 or 2 and give them a shot. I think this might work http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/...p/vx01230l.htm, what do you think?

www.discount-tools.com has low cost endmills that work very well

Gene Crain
    www.plantasymaderas.com

Quote Originally Posted by nego_0 View Post
    Sounds good ill order 1 or 2 and give them a shot. I think this might work http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/...p/vx01230l.htm, what do you think?
    Those vortex bits are a little pricey but give them a shot and see how they work.

Jason

MLCS woodworking has solid carbide spiral upcut bits for a lot less. I've used them quite a bit and they work well.

If you are "trying" stuff, why don't you spend 1/2 as much and buy twice as many

Here's the link http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...iral_up_anchor

Joe

Thank you for all replies. Still waiting on shippment, this is the longest wait ever but i know it will be worth it. Joe if you reading this, send me an update on how its going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post

Jason
    1/2 of a machine

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaClipper View Post
    1/2 of a machine
    HAHA thats no joke. Could be worse i would get the table she would take the Leadscrews and steppers haha.

Well thank you joe!! He has shipped my machine today!! I cant wait to start this build. Im sure there will be a ton of questions on this build, but here i go in the unkown.:cheers:

MDF DAY!!

:devious: My MDF came in and know its time to start the build,,, errrr aaah this weekend so I don't make the little misses mad. The parts look great and opening the box was crazy fun. I was attacked by white peanuts. Since the are electro magnetically charged they jump at you like ninjas. You should have seen me pull each piece out so delicately and wisp away the foam particles with a hand broom. haha I barely made a mess till I had to get in the bottom to get the box full of small MDF and HDPE I had to lay the large box on its side to try and pry the smaller box out, and it was world war 3 with peanuts(I lost). Thanks Joe for the awesome machine.

I always get a kick out of hearing about the Popcorn Ninjas.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

GEKO OR HOBBYCNC

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Axis-CNC-Gecko...09174013r22308 is the cheapest ive seen for the geko setup. is there a cheaper place to get the g540 kit? or am i best off by going hobbycnc like i had budgeted for. if i can get the kit in the 450 range shipped or even 500 its doable. LOL there went the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by nego_0 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Axis-CNC-Gecko...09174013r22308 is the cheapest ive seen for the geko setup. is there a cheaper place to get the g540 kit? or am i best off by going hobbycnc like i had budgeted for. if i can get the kit in the 450 range shipped or even 500 its doable. LOL there went the budget.
    CNCRouterparts has a nice setup, and his motors have the resister build into the plug already.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

looks realy good!! think that is the route to go.

I've been out for a week know after having chipped tooth. I had to have a crown lengthening done. I'm going to start the build this week and was scared of something lol.. Did everyone else use the pipes to help square up the torsion box while gluing? or did you just put your pieces together and square the ends.

I just went looking for pipes....What did you all use.. I mesured the opening in sketchup and came out with 1.340" what pipe has that? i was asuming 1" gas pipe the black stuff but i see in the photos your pipe rails look so shiny, what gives.

Anybody have the part number from lowes or home depot. I got some today and its just not big enouph its shy buy a millimeter or more to loose for a good fit.

Page 1 of 10 123