586,453 active members*
2,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko in Bridgeport BOSS
Page 2 of 2 12
    interesting comments cause to be honest I dont know anything about it really I just went with what was the simplestfor me which was to do gecko drives since theres so much info on here

Bridgeport Series one

Using Gecko g201 on x,y &z axis for six years now never a problem on my Series one.

JR

Nice to see this thread as I am considering getting one of these. Actually two for the price of one. One was running, one for parts (or retro fit, which is most likely). I am a machinist (30+ years now) and not afraid of mechanical things, but am electronically challenged and have always been sceered of tackling electrical stuff, but.....

I went with the 202's on all 3 axis. No issue since '05. Not an everyday thing but it does not relax when it does run. The mountain models run all night long to do a finish cut. And I am doing a stainless job that runs for a few hours also.

I am spoiled by this machine in a way. Yeah its an old hunk of iron, but the mach2/gecko combination is really nice to run. (haha - yeah I have not even gone to Mach 3 yet) I am looking for an enclosed VMC so I can flood and have a toolchanger and a larger volume, but when you think of it.....the mach with the USB port, all the memory in the world, and the windows based OS.....its so convenient.
    http://www.scpconcepts.com

Do you happen to know which drive motors you have. Apparently the issue with the Gecko is its limited current, and I'm getting the sense that some of the BOSS machines had high current motors.

I have yet been able to find an identifying mark on my motors that will give a clue for the current requirements. Can anyone identify it from this picture?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00427b.JPG  

Those look like the Sigma steppers on my Boss 5.

I'll look up the specs in my manual after work tonight.Unless someone beats me to it.I think 8.3 amps in idle and a couple less in rapid traverse.Keep in mind the older Boss used direct(1:1)drives on the axes.Lots of power for that.

I used Gecko 202 drivers and still use the steppers that came with the Bridgeport. The retrofit is almost four years old now. I use it all the time with no problems.

I'm using a 65VDC power supply. The Gecko's will run those Bridgeport steppers, no sweat. Do not try to run the steppers to fast. That is where people get into trouble.

http://www.outbackmachineshop.com/CNC.html

Jim
    www.outbackmachineshop.com

ON this subject of using Geckos on a BOSS with high current Steppers, I received this from Gecko:

Our drives max out at 7A, which would give you 87.5% of your maximum torque at full power for an 8A motor. Our drives will work with these motors just fine and many people are running G203Vs on Bridgeport retrofits

Hey guys I think ive solved my problem with my machine. I recently did some research on shielded wire turns out I used to wrong wire. Zcases I must say you and the other guys on here convinced me I should have a solid setup with the bp boss and the geckos. That helped me find the problem. SO thanks alot.

I spent some time looking at the mill and found that the problem with the Y-axis. It was just a fuse.
    The original hardware, although old and very bulky, works fine. So I will pass on the Geckos for now.

Page 2 of 2 12