586,108 active members*
3,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Putting together Taig mill, question about Z axis movement

Putting together Taig mill, question about Z axis movement

Hello,
    I just purchased a Taig mill, and after putting it together I notice that the ability to rotate the Z-axis drive screw becomes difficult once the heavy motor is put in place. Pushing up on the motor permits the Z-axis screw to easily move, releasing the motor makes it difficult to turn the screw.

The system will be a CNC system in about a week. I'm concerned that the motor may not be able to move the Z-axis easily. My question is, is there a way to adjust the machine such that the Z-axis movement is less strained? Or is this how the machine is supposed to work?

Thanks,
    DE

Don't worry about it. The steppers are more than strong enough to move the Z. There are all kinds of cnc'ed Taigs out there.

bob

Make sure both the gib and the two shoes on either side of the slide are adjusted to be smooth without the motor in place. If the gib is not locked, that is both screws top and bottom snug, then the gib can slip and make it much more difficult to move the z-axis. If it's locked but too loose then the slide can cock to the left with the weight of the motor. The shoes likewise need to be held with hand pressure and locked in place so the slide doesn't hang forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DE001 View Post
    Hello,
    I just purchased a Taig mill, and after putting it together I notice that the ability to rotate the Z-axis drive screw becomes difficult once the heavy motor is put in place. Pushing up on the motor permits the Z-axis screw to easily move, releasing the motor makes it difficult to turn the screw.

The system will be a CNC system in about a week. I'm concerned that the motor may not be able to move the Z-axis easily. My question is, is there a way to adjust the machine such that the Z-axis movement is less strained? Or is this how the machine is supposed to work?

Thanks,
    DE
    Nick Carter
    Largest resource on the web about Taig lathes and mills
    www.cartertools.com

DE ...
    I had the same problem, and after weeks of hair pulling, I discovered the problem with the servo.
    Open the servo cover and make sure all connections are corrected properly and everything sitting in its place.
    Also check the fuse ( there is 3 amp fuse inside the plastic connector ) take it out and see if its not blown.
    The other thing to check is the shoes on either side of the z axis .. take the spindle motor and head stock off and loosen the two screws on either side, squeeze each shoe with one hand against the sliding part and tighten (not too much just enough to hold it in place ) the screws, do the same for the other side.
    Good luck