586,075 active members*
4,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Hey Guess what there is. Its called g-wiz and bob at cnccookbook wrote it and distributes it for free right now. Go get it. Good stuff. Really Really Good Stuff. The calculations for feeds and speeds are dead on, especially with smaller DOC than is typical with full size vmc's

Quote Originally Posted by pzzamakr1980 View Post
    Hey Guess what there is. Its called g-wiz and bob at cnccookbook wrote it and distributes it for free right now. Go get it. Good stuff. Really Really Good Stuff. The calculations for feeds and speeds are dead on, especially with smaller DOC than is typical with full size vmc's
    i can't tell if your being a smartass or didn't understand the meaning of the previous post (nuts)

I thought it was pretty funny myself!

BTW, seems like all the reviews I have read of the Glacern face mills talk about them as being extremely "smooth". That was exactly my first reaction too. The first couple of cuts, I couldn't hear the cutter at all above the gear head's noise

It's loud, but not crazy loud, yet I found myself looking for evidence that I was even low enough in Z to be making a cut. The stalled spindle incident happened with a 60 thousandths cut, and I was basically just trying to see what it took to create even a little bit of drama.

You have to be careful what you wish for!

Cheers,

BW

PS Their premium vises are awesome too!
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Quote Originally Posted by SquareJ View Post
    If only there was a program that could calculate HP required and recommend depth of cuts...
    There are some real good slide calculators from the different tooling manufacturers that can do it all. I have one from carboly and one from ingersoll. The carboloy has the most for what you ask. Mine are pretty old now and I'm sure that the new ones may have more info. I've used some on site calculators but haven't seen any for download use yet.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

I was trying to be funny but failed, i use G-Wizard sometimes and like it.

But now i've run into another problem, I was thinking about the FM-45 as mentioned above but ended up going with the FM90 because it could cut with its sides too BUT it has a 1.25" bore which Glacern's R8 holder wont handle.

So does anyone have a good suggestion for this large bore tool?

Thanks and will work on my sarcasm skillz...

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    The stalled spindle incident happened with a 60 thousandths cut, and I was basically just trying to see what it took to create even a little bit of drama.
    Due to an errant keypress (G0 instead of G1) had my mill rapiding a 0.025" cut in aluminum. That also stalled the spindle motor and broke an insert or two. As crashes go, it was pretty quiet and uneventful.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 12