586,075 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread Milling

Hi guys , I am thread milling 15-5 ph stainless steel .Can anyone give me a recommended sfm and fpt for a solid carbide single point six flute 60 deg. form tool. I am getting a good finish with what I have but taking way too long.

Well you can alway try push it. Y? no offense, they pay you by hour anyway why bother, what not broke don't fix it.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRim View Post
    Well you can alway try push it. Y? no offense, they pay you by hour anyway why bother, what not broke don't fix it.
    That is great advice to give an engineer that is trying to make a job profitable.

Sambo
    Try 175-225 SFM with .0025 chip load as a starting point.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

For me, it depends entirely on the number of posts/holes to be threaded, the time difference expected, and the cost of the tool and/or workpiece.

If it will save 10% on time but eat up that savings in tooling or workpieces scrapped, it obviously isn't worth pushing it. I would look at the time/money saved using the above numbers to see if it is worth your while to change the settings on something that works already. It may be more worth your while to look at cost savings in another operation.

Hope this helps,

Fegenbush

thanks shotout , your recommended increase helped a little , still able to hold same finish . boss is still riding me to make better production rate for my operator but i guess what it is , is what it is.
    thanks alot

Quote Originally Posted by sambo67 View Post
    thanks shotout , your recommended increase helped a little , still able to hold same finish . boss is still riding me to make better production rate for my operator but i guess what it is , is what it is.
    thanks alot
    No Problem. I understand about "Russian" bosses. They want it quick cheap and good and it leaves us guys feeling like this at times: (nuts)

Cheers
    :cheers:
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Single point threadmilling can be seriously time consuming.

Shotout hit the f/s, thats right where I would be.

Tap it?

or

Spring for a pitch specific thread mill, once around and done, instead of around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around.

Your Solution

Quote Originally Posted by little bubba View Post
    Spring for a pitch specific thread mill, once around and done, instead of around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around.
    Keep a tap handy for when the thread mill starts to wear. Eliminate scap due to undersize or inaccurate geometry.

Experience with 316 SS 1/4 NPT Two passes with 6 flute solid carbide in a drilled and taper reamed hole. Tooling cost up front is higher but with high volume your cost will decrease per hole. Insert thread millers work too and are more versatile as they can be used for different pitch threads. Shop around and best of luck making any boss happy no matter what nationality.
    If it is true a person learns from their mistakes then I must be the smartest man alive.