586,103 active members*
3,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Dongle Replacement
Page 1 of 2 12

Dongle Replacement

I have XR2 Express and Our Dongle fell apart. It was on shaky ground for a while, and yesterday it finally fell apart. One CNC wants to charge me $250 to replace it, and they are telling me that's a deal that they normally charge $350 for it.

This was a complimentary seat given to us for letting them run a story in their marketing materials about our purchase of their professional package. So now I have to pay more for the "Free" seat to keep it running.

I was told that this is to cover the administration cost for issuing a new dongle. Are they a legal firm and have to pay some big ticket lawyers to do this for them? Kinda feel like I've been (nuts). For that price right now I can get 2+seats of Alibre.

I'm fed up with this situation. I already know the answer from my partner when I tell him what the cost is...."Stuff it!"
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

The cost of dongles is higher than you think. It sounds like you might have an issue with the Dongle quality -- why don't you try to get it swapped (ie, you send the old broken one back) instead of just getting a new one.

I have seen fees of $175 and up for other companies using the Aladdin and Rainbow dongles so I don't think this is that far out of line. I would think that a $250 investment in software you've been using for a couple of years doesn't sound unreasonable.

One last idea -- perhaps they would upgrade you to XR3 (or the upcoming XR4) with a new dongle at a price that you would find a fair value.

$250 is not bad price for replacing a dongle. But whatever make your boat float go with it.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

David,

That is the "Trade In" cost. The policy is that if they send a new dongle out that you send the old one back within 10 business days. I sent them a picture with the dongle in 2 distinct pieces.

Here's my issue. That $250 is $250 more than what OneCNC charged me for that particular seat in the first place. I have bought a seat of professional in xr2 and was one of the first customers to upgrade to XR3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0836.JPG   IMGP0838.JPG  
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Let me get this straight: someone gives you something of value, you use it for four or five years and then they're an ass because they won't replace it for free and instead ask a nominal replacement fee?

Knock yourself out with Alibre.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Find an expert.

With a bit of care you can attach one end of a USB extension lead typically $2 or so.
    Find a competent electronics persons, then keep enjoying your original dongle, all be it slightly extended.

They are a little fragile and thin PCBs don't take kindly to bending stress as evidenced by the break.

It is small but something of that value needs the appropriate care. Plugging them into an extension lead can be a great way of looking after a dongle.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

After I see the picture and if you don't want to pay $250, I will recommend you the same idea Mr.NeilW did. You can find lead and the heater at your local RadioShack.

PS: Be careful not overheat the welding spot, the heat will pass out the dongle and it could fry your dongle.

Exclamation Expert...

And so can static electricity.

If you don't know what you are doing, GOOD LUCK, and best wishes to the $250.:withstupi
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

If you were close enough I'd do it for ya, but I'd guess your in Van.

I'll try fixing it for you.

Thanks for the picture of the issue. I think that could be repaired. I have access to the parts and skills to do that.

I will offer to do it for the cost of parts & shipping. I'll estimate $20 or so.

Please email at [email protected] if interested.

David Ferguson
    http://veracitydata.com

I've been pretty dissatisfied with the robustness of the USB interface since its introduction.

Often the port on the computer is located such that we try to plug it in by feel. Takes several tries to get it in the proper orientation, then we shove it in, often at a little angle until it straightens out, all the while stressing the hell out of both genders of the interface.

An expensive USB dongle should have more structural integrity than just the plastic insulation and the leads inside the connector. If the metal shield was extended to physically anchor to the body of the device it would go a long way toward reducing failures of this type.

As several have pointed out, having a USB hub or extension cable to plug peripherals into prevents most of the strain on the peripheral. It's a good compromise for a marginally designed interface IMHO.

With some careful work that dongle could most likely be salvaged. It won't be pretty but it will work.

Joe

Its always the guys that get things for free that are the biggest complainers. I once worked with a salesman who used to say "There is no value in free". You know, he was right. Most people see no value in free so when it come time to pay (like everyone else) they feel cheated. I know that the $250 is a fair price because we (just like any other OneCNC office) have to purchase the OneCNC replacement key. After we purchase the key, process the order, ship, paperwork ECT, there is no profit as well there should be no profit in a key swap. Its the cost of doing business and $250 is the fair and right price.

CncWest,

They don't care ...... most of the time buyer think all the money go straigt to seller pocket and the amount seem to be alot, but they got right to their opion and one for a while it's much better off not work with them.

I paid $100 for my dongle from BobCAD. $250 is at least $150 too much. Replacing broken dongles for a nominal fee ($100 or less) should be part of doing business.

Bill, you make a good point. Different companies charge different amounts for replacement dongles. There are probably companies that charge less than $100 and that is the cost of "their doing business". That does not mean you paid too much for your Bobcad dongle.

After reading these posts, I got on Ebay and purchased 4 six inch usb cables. This is the Ebay store I purchased them from.

http://stores.ebay.com/Kraydads-Cabl...Computer-Stuff

$3 --- cheap insurance.

Heck, I'd buy the broken dongle just to have one down by the mill so I can leave the other one in the house puter.

Serious,
    Jamie

OK, I have a somewhat related issue, what about replacing a "missing" dongle.

I'm not suppose to talk about it, but for those are talking about protect your dongle like a treasure and afraid it will broke/tear and wear from after take in and out. Then spend extra two hundred bucks and get and EMULATOR and you don't have to worry .......... the key broke or tear and wear.

Ok, what are you talking about? What is an emulator?

Page 1 of 2 12