586,103 active members*
3,422 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Salvagnini L1Xe fiber laser?

Does anyone have any experience with fiber lasers for cutting metals? This laser claims to cut various metals up to 3/4 of an inch, like most CO2 lasers, but is best suited for gauge materials. Fiber lasers seem to offer great benefits such as no laser gas, no beam path optics, no resonator maintenance, and low electrical consumption. This laser has a smaller power output at 2000W but claims to cut similar to a 4000W CO2 laser.

Anyone have any experience with Salvagnini lasers and their service in general? They don't seem to have much of a presence at all in the laser market compared to Amada, Trumpf, Bystronic, Mazak, etc.

Any input would be great!

If our looking for automation for thin gauge material I think the Salvagnini cycle time will be less than most others. I have only dealt with their punching systems and would say the service about the same as Trumpf’s.

Independent CNC Programmer
    http://www.independentcnc.com

My mission is to share CNC programming innovations for a lifetime.

There is no dought who is the best. TRUMPF. I used to work for a metal company in Apex NC and we used Trumpf prodominately and had a few Amada. There is a reason Salvagnini Doesn't compare. Because they simply dont. Be careful of machines that will slap a Fanuc Laser on their machine and use this as the selling point. I have also been to Fanuc Advanced Laser in Chicago and can tell you they make a very good laser but you might find it on a hunk-o-junk like Amada which by the way sucks. The Fanuc laser is great but the machine is a piece-o-crap, well, maybe not that bad but pretty bad. Lasers are very expensive machines and you pay for what you get like anything else. I have been to Connecticut to Trumpf and been thru their advanced training classes and can tell you that they are awesome machines. If you talk to any experienced laser guy who has been in lasers for any length of time and can get them to be honest most will tell you in the laser cutting world Trumpf is best overall and their service is great. In high end machining most tool builders have their nitch, Okuma is known for Lathes, Amada for punching, Cinncinnati for bending etc. but Trumpf is where it's at for lasers. The biggest complaint is the price usually but they are worth it. Up until a few years ago Trumpf had the patent and was the only one with their resonator design. But with any laser regular PM's are the key. Do not forget that also with lasers probably the single most important thing is,Water,Water,Water. There was a big discussion once about which is best and most recommend deionized water and this works ok but i can tell you from much experience that a simple $2500 investment for a RO water system is the best investment you can make. RO water does not promote algae or bacteria growth nearly as much as deionized water. Plus the benifit of a RO system is that it is supplied by your incoming plant water supply and creates the RO water so you have an endless supply with only the initial investment. Well worth looking into regaurdless of which brand laser to go with.

This thread is about Salvagnini, good or bad I don't care as long as this is from experience. This is just one laser out of many that I need to evaluate. Anyone with experience please let me know what you have encountered! How is their service? How is part availability? Anyone know about Salvagnini's programming software? Any feedback would be great!

Not sure where your located, however I do know that Salvagnini America keeps many spare parts at there Hamilton, OH location. The Salvagnini software is very expensive 40k +. I would suggest you contact a Salvagnini sales rep and ask to talk to a company that is using one of these systems.

You will not be able to compare a Trumpf system because they are still working on their fiber version or so I here.

If you need a contact shoot me an e-mail and I can send you one.

www.independentcnc.com

Trumpf Fiber

I do know that Trumpf bought up SPI Lasers around 2008 IMTS. I believe it was announced at the show.

Another big player, Rofin, purchased Nufern around the same time.

When it comes down to it, though, no one comes close to IPG Photonics on high power (>KW) fiber lasers.

The benefits of fiber versus CO2 in most applications are numerous. Generally you'll consume less than half the electricity, fibers require no laser gas - just assist gas, and require very little laser service, beyond nozzles and lenses as the laser is fiber delivered eliminating the need for the mirrors used in other systems.

That all being said, I don't have any experience with Salvagnini nor do I know who manufactures the fiber laser for the LX1e.

SPI Lasers: http://www.spilasers.com/
    IPG Photonics: http://www.ipgphotonics.com/
    Nufern: http://www.nufern.com/

Question request for a review

Currently we are debating about investing in a complex of new machines.

Currently, the likely winner is Salvagnini due to the solution that it offered.
    I would like to receive a feedback regarding this proposal

1. Single-Row Tray-Store
    2. SL4.30 Punching and laser cutting center
    3. P4x Panel Bender
    4. L1X Laser System

One main request is the warehouse management system. Another one is a quotation system that should comply with solidworks.

Do you have any suggestions in this matter?

The only other machine you can compare Salvagnini to would be a Finn – Power they have also have a material handling system. The Finn Power will only have a bigger shear that may reduce your cycle time if you have long rectangular parts.

Compare the machines with your parts and see who comes out on top.

http://www.independentcnc.com/

fiber laser

i would go with bystronic, i had a demo in hauppauge N.Y.about 6 weeks ago.
    you should know that trumpf is using a modified fiber laser that was design for welding not cutting.
    so the quality of cut is not great it is o.k. from what i saw.