586,075 active members*
3,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Stainless steel cutting

Hello CNC'ers

I have a small company which imports and produces fashion jewelry,i have started producing not long ago and now am interested in stainless steel cutting for one type of s. steel neklace.

Its a name shaped pendant...

sample

the holes in letters and space between are small so the machine must cut perfect
    the steel thickness would be 0,059"/1,5mm-0,118"/3mm
    also is there a machine (plasma,laser) which could cut this "name plates" so fine so i dont have to polish the sides later.

or if cant whats the best solution for polishing after cutting.

I travel alot to Thailand and China...i know in china I can find what i need but maybe you ppl could point me in a good direction.

I am looking for a good quality with super fast cutting cuz i am a Wholesaler so i would be producing this "name plates" in tens of thousands pcs.
    I am willing to spend 15000-30000 USD
    Fell free to pm me or send any info to [email protected]

I would be appriciated for any info or a good tip regarding this kinda CNC machine.

Thank you!

Its not a good plasma application......and the production levels may be too high for an abrasive water jet....it is probably best done with a laser. You don't distinguish whether you are looking for a shop to do the work for you...or are looking to buy a machine that will allow you to do the work.

Jim

am looking for a machine
    thats the point cuz i wanna produce the QTY and name styles as my customers desire...
    and it must me done fast,fast,fast

Better adjust your budget to $100,000USD min for an appropriate laser.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

so theres no way a plasma could do this job???
    i figured lasers where way to expensive for me as a small manufacturer
    any other suggestions???

Yes - plasma will cut those, but not to your specifications.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Yeah sure I'll take $30,000 and lazer out a load of those for ya. If your talking about buying a lazer for $15,000-$30,000 there is no way in heL! that your going to do that, that's funny. If your looking to buy a lazer to cut those your looking at about $180,000-$250,000 that is USD.

[QUOTE=universalfab;731925]Yeah sure I'll take $30,000 and lazer out a load of those for ya. If your talking about buying a lazer for $15,000-$30,000 there is no way in heL! that your going to do that, that's funny. If your looking to buy a lazer to cut those your looking at about $180,000-$250,000 that is USD. We can do them fast, fast, fast, but you have to have a big order to get them cheap, cheap. There is no way you'd be profitable unless you were knocking out loads of these things all in one run. What you do is you send me a list of all the names and faunts you want them in and I'll knock them all out in a day.

basicly only laser can cut those???
    How would CNC grinding/miling do this job?
    How about prices on chinese market,and where in china to check good factories???
    I heard HUBEI in Wuhan has many factories for CNC machines.
    I can only have profit if i produce them by myself and fast...

Buy an engraver that will cut aluminium, then make them from aluminium and polish them. You can clear-coat them after polishing like most jewelry.

That's cheap, fast and under budget.

I have done some researching,could Multicam 2000 do the job and how much does it cost???
    http://www.multicam.com/eng/Products/2000series.html

check this add http://70.169.135.35/showthread.php?t=122056
    he sells one for 49,500$ year 2008.

A 100 watt laser isn't going to do the job for you. You would want to have at least a 250 watt unit, and even that would be slow. Ideally I think you would really want to be into the kilowatt units to cut the material fast enough that the heat effected area of the material is minimized, requiring minimal finishing.

I tell you what you need to do, forget about it. Your idea is so far from original it's not funny. Lazering it is the only way possible to make any proffit and there is no way from the sounds of it you can afford a lazer. You won't even find a piece of crap made in china for that price or any where near it. Milling it is not a profitable option either, it would take way to long and there would be alot of finishing work. Plasma won't give you the quallity of cut you need. If I were you and actually thought that there was a market for these things I'd hire ME to make you a big ol' pile of them and I'll even do the finishing pollish for you. Save your proffits and eventually you will have enough to buy yourself a good quallity lazer gantry system made in U.S.A.

I don't know why you want to invest in a machine

to do this, when you don't even know what sort of machine will do the job. I'd say send small orders out to people using various different processes, and compare the pricing and results.

To me, this certainly doesn't look like a plasma job, CNC cutting definitely won't work, and laser seems iffy. Have you looked into photo-chemical spray-etching? You can do intricate cut-out work in stainless that way, and the masking techniques keep getting better all the time, since they are also used in the semiconductor industry. I wouldn't want to have to set up and run the equipment myself, but I'm sure there are people who have it that are willing to do as much of this work as you can give them.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    to do this, when you don't even know what sort of machine will do the job. I'd say send small orders out to people using various different processes, and compare the pricing and results.

To me, this certainly doesn't look like a plasma job, CNC cutting definitely won't work, and laser seems iffy. Have you looked into photo-chemical spray-etching? You can do intricate cut-out work in stainless that way, and the masking techniques keep getting better all the time, since they are also used in the semiconductor industry. I wouldn't want to have to set up and run the equipment myself, but I'm sure there are people who have it that are willing to do as much of this work as you can give them.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com
    Lazer is the best way, cleanest, and would be the cheapest for a large quantity. Oh yeah and CNC CUTTING WILL work, it just would take to much time.