586,395 active members*
3,020 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Haas DT-1

Haas DT-1

Does any one have one of these machines and how do you like it. Mine is supposed to be built next week.
    RMILES

I think you may be a first.

I have looked at the specs and like the idea of tapping at 5000 rpm because we do thousands of parts with 1/4-20 tapped holes. But there is a problem; we also need to do machining on them which sometimes involves 3/4" cutters taking off cuts like 0.4" deep, full width engagement at 10,000 rpm and 100fpm. I wonder if a 30 taper spindle is up to this.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

that is a good point, I was on one of the other forums this morning and they were talking about the fact that Haas uses ceramic bearings in spindles that operate in excess of 12000 rpm. It was also pointed out that the ceramic bearings will not take as heavy of a load, that being said I would doubt that this machine would take that much load long term, but what do I know
    RMILES

I'm seriously looking at the DT1 as our next machine. However should we end up getting one we would simply divert it to doing aluminum work only, and move anything harder to our 40 taper SMM instead. Most of what we do is aluminum so we'll still end up using both machines as much as needed.

I don't personally think the 30 taper is that much of a downgrade, but I don't see a reason to test the machine's longevity (lol) especially considering the bearings as mentioned here and other places. But like I said we do so much aluminum work that it won't disrupt anything in our particular situation.

I'm a little set back that Haas raised the price on the DT1 though. did you get your order in back when they were $40,000? (I just noticed it was higher earlier in the week so I don't know when they changed it)

They changed the price the 1st of the year, I called for a quote for mine on the4th of Jan. the quote came in at the higher price. I checked the web site again and the price was still down, so I called my salesman and talked to him about it. He called Haas and they honored the price on the web page. The next day the price changed on the web. I also do alot of my work in aluminum, I also do a fair amount of engraving (which takes forever on my tmp-3 at 6000 rpm). I have seen some videos and the machine looks impresive, I guess I will find out.
    RMILES

nice...did you get any options with it?

4th axis and probe
    RMILES

Just curious to see how you are liking your new DT1. Any problems or limitations that you have found so far? Would you be comfortable using your DT1 with a 1/2 end mill on aluminum doing pocketing? I was just at WESTEC and they had one running at the show. Extremely fast tool changes. The door location seemed a little funky to me. There also seemed to be a recess in the sheet metal in the left rear corner that just collected chips really bad.

So far the machine is working fine, it really hauls on the rapids I have to keep them turned down. I don't think their would be any problem using a 1/2 end mill. the only thing that I did not like was the fact that it requires a 100 amp service
    RMILES

I've got HAAS DT1 and I've the first problem. When I reset the programm, it losts G53 origin (moving Z0 of machine). In order to launch again my programm, I need to switch off the maching, and after it's OK. Thank you for your help if you have an Idee.
    It doesn't happen the last week.