586,060 active members*
3,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Help deciphering this encoder - Aerotech DC1000

Help deciphering this encoder - Aerotech DC1000

This is a good question for Al the Man... Can you kindly take a gander at these attached images and tell me what kind of encoder this Aerotech is using??

I have tried connecting it as a differential encoder by using the com and enc+ as grnd and 5VDC and the SIN/SIN-, COS/COS- as A/A- and B/B- (respectively) but this didn't work for me. Swapping the wires around I was able to get it to count in fwd and rev direction when turning the shaft by hand, however, this was short-lived and wasn't reliable. I tried using the M and M- wires as well but no dice.

I also tried connecting it as a singe-ended encoder (what the hell eh?) but no luck with that.

Is this a resolver or an encoder? If encoder then do you have any clue how I could wire it up using differential inputs (if possible)?

Would appreciate any help you can offer... Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aero_enc_01.jpg   aero_enc_03.jpg  

That is the universal resolver/encoder board that Aerotech uses, I have the colour code
    some where, what is the full part number of the motor?
    For differential hook up it is.
    COS-N = /B
    SIN-N = /A
    COS = B
    SIN = A
    MKR = Z
    MKR-N = /Z
    If a resolver, you will not see a 0-5v transition on any of the signals like you will on an encoder, also there is no marker pulse on a resolver.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks a ton Al... that is very helpful information. I am going to try to wire it up according to your advice and I'll let you know how that goes. Here's the motor model #:

1050LT-MSOF/E1000AS

Thanks again!

I tried to connect them as suggested but doesn't seem to work. My position counter is just incrementing back and forth between 0 and 1. After swapping the connections around with no rhyme or reason I was able to get it to count in one direction only. At one point I was able to get it to read correctly (or so it seemed) by counting fwd and rev when turning the shaft by hand but this didn't hold when I connected the power cables to the motor and tried to move it.

I should have mentioned earlier that I snipped all the encoder wires from the universal encoder board and am just connecting directly to the encoder wires. Do you know if I need to use that universal bob to make this work for me? I don't have a clue what all the resistors, etc..., are for. Since this is an amplified sine output signal would those resistors help to correct the signal for my use or what??

Thanks again Al!

Here's a quick update on the encoder.... I went over each connection (channel) and connected them into the controller bob one at a time to see what I could find out and the result was that only one line was registering a change in the bit state for that pin. The "working" wire was the A signal. All the other signals are not changing the bit state.

I then re-soldered the encoder wires to their original connectors on the universal break out board and then connected those wires into the controller's bob pin (again one at a time) and now there is one more signal that appears to be working (at least changing the bit state from hi to low) and that is the B signal.

With the A and B signals registering a change in the bit state I then connected them to the controller bob as a single-ended encoder input and now it is counting in fwd and rev direction whenever turning the shaft by hand. This seems to be working. However, whenever I hook up the main motor power lines it then causes the position counter to only count in one direction and not fwd and rev!!

Any ideas as to what might be causing this to occur?

Thanks!

I have a motor here I will take a closer look, in the mean time this is the pin out for the MS connector if the motor has one.
    The problem was Aerotech used different Manuf. encoders on these motors
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.