586,100 active members*
2,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New design - Quick question about my design

New design - Quick question about my design

Hi everyone,

Been reading this site for quite some time now and its time for me to build my router. I have based it around a JGRO router as I dont have enough tools IMO to do a full torsion box setup properly like a Joe's 06 or similar.

One thing i never like on the JGRO was the way the X rails were mounted, with no support all the way along them. I think that the design also puts so much weight on the top bearings and not much on the bottom ones. I plan to run them on top and under the rails in dual rail config.

I plan on using 2 x pieces of 18mm MDF (yea, im an Aussie :P) with a 35-45 degree angle cut on either side to form a valley for my steam pipe to sit in.

I will need to mount the pipe to these pieces of MDF so it stays rigid across the whole length, what is the be4st way to do this? I was thinking about drilling holes through the pipe and then running a screw into the MDF, but not sure how this will go.

Once the rails are mounted up t the MDF and are parallel along the entire length I will level the rails out with the end plate adjustments. The plates will be tied together through the center with some all thread to keep them from separating any.

I havnt started sketching it up yet but I want to use a gantry design similar to that of Joe's 06, but not quite as complex.

Here is a quick sketch I done up, dont mind my booty fab drawing skills

Any ideas are welcome aboard, I have my HobbyCNC 305oz kit here but the machine itself is not started yet, so can change that up a bit. Will be buying some MDF sheets next week and some other goodies.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0172-1.jpg  

You could always fasten the pipe down with cross-dowel fasteners in the mdf. You could also try a reverse angle on your mdf and use aluminum angle instead of the pipe.