586,106 active members*
2,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

wincnc, testra, linkmotion etc

I am getting ready to start building my cnc laser. I am trying to stay within a 5k budget so of course a glass tube laser 60-80 watts and flying optics. The part I am researching now is the motion control. I have looked at several and I am hoping to get opinions. I want to do raster/vector so mach3 is out. From what I have read, Linkmotion wont do both in the same file. I am interested in wincnc and Testra has a nice software/hardware package. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with either of these? Any opinions good or bad are welcome.

ps. The budget of 5k is 2k for motion control, 1.5-2k for the laser/pwr supply and the remaining for the table, optics, etc. any comments on this is also welcome

Quote Originally Posted by draekar View Post
    .... I want to do raster/vector so mach3 is out. From what I have read, Linkmotion wont do both in the same file.
    I bought Linkmotion in late 2008, and in one of the last emails received from them (Jan 2009) i was promised a free upgrade when the software had the ability to do raster and vector in the one job.

I'm still waiting for that free upgrade!

These days, I hardly ever use Linkmotion since it's such a pain having to run two programs on the laser (one for raster, one for vector).
    Funny really, while everyone says LaserCut is so crude, yet it manages to do what Linkmotion cannot.

Bob

I might be more interested in Linkmotion if it could do both but from what Rich said, it also ties up the computer while completing the job. I could work around that by just dedicating a computer to the laser. Testra has a nice package (I'm waiting to hear back from them). From what I read, they use to be the OEM for ULS until a few years ago. Also Emission Technologies builds a very nice machine and from the pics, it uses the Testra controller (ss4544). A bit spendy at 2k but I think worth it if it does what they say it will do. It comes with some very nice software.
    Well thanks for the reply. I would like to see an upgrade for Linkmotion.
    73, Jim

P.S.
    I am also looking for a reliable, reasonable cost supplier for the laser tube and pwr supply. 60-80 watt. If anyone has any thoughts

Here is your answer. It is $475 and you will also need a stepper driver that can do 1/16 or higher microsteps (depending on your belt/motor resolution). This thing is way superior to the Link Motion and other drivers I've seen.

You can get it from LightObject.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgg6-CaTNw&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- LightObject DSP.avi[/ame]