586,069 active members*
3,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Smile Taig 2019 with Gecko 540 on the way

This is my first post here. About eight years ago was my first (and only) experience with milling. It was for a school project to make a water cooled computer, and the mill was used for the block that sits on the CPU. Ever since I've wanted to do more with a CNC mill but couldn't afford to since the mill at school was about $15,000. You can imagine my excitement when I found the Taig for less than $2,000 with the steppers and controller! Its not cheap but its also not $15,000, know what I mean? I just never knew something like the Taig existed until a few weeks ago. Attached are some images of that water cooled computer I made back in school. Pretty basic but it was a good learning experience.

I'd like to use EMC2 to control the Taig since I've got several years of experience with Linux. My first projects will be some PC boards, camera mount for the motorcycle, and some electronics project enclosures. I never really learned the whole pipeline for a CNC project or if I did I've forgotten since then. Any suggestions for books about hobby CNC milling or the Taig in particular? I figure its worth doing right this time around and learn everything from the ground up. Glad to be part of the forum, I've found lots of good information here the last few weeks. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails block2.jpg   mill1.jpg