586,123 active members*
3,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

More Viper problems

Having trouble with two Viper 100 boards bought last March.

One blinks red rapidly as soon as I turn it on, it got increasingly worse over a period of about 4 months on tripping out. As long as the machine was running, it would work fine. Spent many hours retuning, and checking electronics. If that axis sat still for more than 3 minutes, the board would fault out. I took this one out and moved a spare to that axis, a viper 200, am still waiting for a programmable fix for the board so the axis do not jump, without going through extra steps.

I now have another board that is doing the same as the previous, they are the same age.

Can you tell me what the problem is? Or how I can fix this without throwing them in the trash?

It seems to be saying that there is over amperage, but when I check the amps running, very seldom over 4 amps of current. I have checked the tuning repeatedly and cannot see a problem.

Where are you, Kilrabit? I'm in Dublin and about to start a 4 axis retrofit with the viper 200's. What breakout board are you using, in any. What controller?
    have fun
    i_r_machinist

I am in Texas.

I use a c-10 BOB from cnc4pc.

I use Mach3 as a controler

If you want to return them, i will check and fix them for you.
    You just pay shipping.

What size motors ? what voltage are you running ?

Larry K

Kilrabbit:
    Where in Texas?
    I'm in Dublin, Texas. 70 miles SW of the DFW metroplex.
    i_r_

Larkin,

I am running 1200 oz servos, at 72 volts.

If you could tell me what you think is the problem, I will fix them here. It will take about 10 days round trip to Canada and back. Also do you have the fix for the field programming in the field on my other boards? The trim and amp adjustment work fine , when you turn them down, the yellow and red lights come on as they are supposed to. The red just continues to flash rapidly, if I move it to another axis it does the same.

i r machinist,

I am about 120 miles west of San Antonio tx. Northwest of Uvalde about 30 miles. Out in the middle of nowhere, which sure is nice.

Camp Wood area? Did some hunting there. I'm from Ozona and McCamey, which is just a little closer to nowhere (Sanderson) than where you are. I've still got family in Ozona, but spend my vacations at a place we have outside of San Angelo. What are you wiring up?
    i_r_machinist

Tell me all your drive settings.Use ? and 1 and 2
    What version is the firmware , use the v command.

Do the drives hold (lock) in both directions if you turn the shaft.

I wish i lived in Texas... you should come up here to canada and i'll show you real cold and wilderness.

Larkin,

I did not check to see if it was still holding when it trips out, I will be back up there Saturday, and let you know. Also the version number, I think it was 2.6 but will double check. I did notice when I used the "z" command it did not set to factory defaults. I will try using another bank when I get back.

i r machinist,

I am 28 NW miles from Uvalde, 26 miles SW from Camp Wood, and 25 miles E from Brackettville, on the West Nueces river. That will put you in the general area.

This set of boards are on a 10' X 6.5' Gantry Router

Larkin,

The firmware is 2.6h, and when faulted out no power to the servo, free wheeling

The firmware is 2.6h, and when faulted out no power to the servo, free wheeling
    Kirabit, i meant before the drive faults was it holding in both directions.
    After the drive faults its supposed to drop the power.

Did you get all the parameters ?

Previous to this check yes they were holding. I cannot use the machine because 2 boards are inoperative, I did not bother to untarp the whole machine. When I try to move this axis, the board faults out just like the previous one. I will give you my settings as follows:

kp 800
    ki 006
    kd 1600
    lp 0004
    ju 0006
    ba 0000
    hy 0000
    ra 150
    cl 0400

Where the machine is I have no internet, no phone, no cell phone,no nothing. All I wanted were some dependable boards so I can work on a few things and build some more machines. Just let me know if I can repair them here, or trash them and start with something else. I have two other machines ready to hook up, and I have ordered boards from somewhere else. I will compare them and see which I will buy for others. You said you would have a fix for the other two boards ""this year"" on the field programming. Let me know when you can do this, and I will reinstall the viper boards to try them again.

Those parmeters look ok, but does the motor oscillate or seem unstable ?

Can you jog it slowly at all ?

What size motors and what encoder resolution do you have ? Do you have a picture of your controller setup ?
    Are they Viper 75's or Viper 200's you have ?

If your machine is sitting anyway, why don't you send me back the 4 drives and I will update and repair if necessary for free.
    I'm trying to help you here, but I can't do much if you don't want to send them back.

Also, Even what i get the code field programable, you still would have to have to send me back those drives since they arn't field programable yet.

Larry

The motor will no longer jog, as soon as I hit the direction, it faults out, Over a a period of time I have had to lessen my acceleration and speed or the drive would fault out.

The motor does not oscillate, the encoders are 1000 line differential. These are Viper 100.

I can currently use 3 axis, so I will use what I have until I get enough other drives in.