586,119 active members*
3,688 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > How to change max rapid speed on Haas TM-1??
Page 1 of 7 123

How to change max rapid speed on Haas TM-1??

I've searched everywhere for this... I just bought an '05 TM1 w/ atc and I found the settings to up the spindle speed to 6000rpm, but I have been unable to locate the proper settings to increase the rapids.

I have been told that you can set the rapids up from 200ipm to 600ipm.

Anyone know what to change? It does seem like a big increase... thoughts on this?

Here are the spindle settings for those wondering:

131-MAX SPINDLE RPM
    183-Sp MAX FREQ

(PAR 183= MAX SPINDLE SPEED / 3 * 10)

So for 6000 RPM:
    131 = 6000
    183 = 20000

Found it finally...

Find the Parameters for X (Y, Z) ACCELERATION AND X (Y, Z) MAX SPEED and double them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, one time the Haas service guy said need more bigger air compressor to keep up with the faster moving accleration.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRim View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, one time the Haas service guy said need more bigger air compressor to keep up with the faster moving accleration.
    ????

Was he selling compressors as a side line?

If anything a faster Z would save air because the machine would not spend as much time on a tool change with the purge air blowing.

I think you can file that piece of information under D for didn't know what he was talking about.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Geof,
    I agree on the D file.

pdl0vr,
    I would really recommend not changing these values. The factory sets them at where they are at for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    Geof,
    I agree on the D file.

pdl0vr,
    I would really recommend not changing these values. The factory sets them at where they are at for a reason.
    I think a lot of the times the "reason" is more for marketing. Do you have any specific technical details on why you would not recommend this? I don't trust the factory.

ie: Don't buy the TM1, get the minimill which has the same spindle, but is set to run at 6000rpm.

I mean how far do you trust a company that puts 16mb of memory onboard but only lets you use 1mb unless you "upgrade" via unlock code.

Speeds & Rapids

Speeds and Rapids:

I could be mistaken but I believe it has something to do with the machine having an encloser or not. I have a 2007 TM-1P which is the enclosed machine. It has the higher spindle speed and faster rapids. I think???? it has the same spindle as the TM-1 models.

I also believe that HAAS as an OEM manufacturer has the obligation to OSHA or whatever other Federal guidlines to limit the speeds and feeds on non enclosed machines. It is not a question on whether or not they would be capable but for safety reasons i.e flying parts material etc. Just my guess.

As for the memory I too have the 1 meg of on board memory in my machine. I was able to purchase the machine for a lessor price by accepting the fact that the machine only had that amount of memory supplied with the machine. HAAS could have jacked up the price on all of their machines the additional $1000.00 or whatever and some of us would have to pay for memory that we don't need. It just has to do with the way HAAS markets their products. If you don't need it you don't have to pay for it. Whether they as a manufacturer choose to add additional memory by either turning on a code or replacing chips is their choice as a manufacturer.

HAAS made no secret as to the amount of memory that was suppied with my machine or the additional cost of more memory should I option to purchase it. I myself like the "purchase what you need" marketing method.

I am sure everyone has their ideas on this subject and I respect your personal opinions. Just thought I would give you another perspective.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Speeds and Rapids:

I could be mistaken but I believe it has something to do with the machine having an encloser or not. I have a 2007 TM-1P which is the enclosed machine. It has the higher spindle speed and faster rapids. I think???? it has the same spindle as the TM-1 models.

I also believe that HAAS as an OEM manufacturer has the obligation to OSHA or whatever other Federal guidlines to limit the speeds and feeds on non enclosed machines. It is not a question on whether or not they would be capable but for safety reasons i.e flying parts material etc. Just my guess.

As for the memory I too have the 1 meg of on board memory in my machine. I was able to purchase the machine for a lessor price by accepting the fact that the machine only had that amount of memory supplied with the machine. HAAS could have jacked up the price on all of their machines the additional $1000.00 or whatever and some of us would have to pay for memory that we don't need. It just has to do with the way HAAS markets their products. If you don't need it you don't have to pay for it. Whether they as a manufacturer choose to add additional memory by either turning on a code or replacing chips is their choice as a manufacturer.

HAAS made no secret as to the amount of memory that was suppied with my machine or the additional cost of more memory should I option to purchase it. I myself like the "purchase what you need" marketing method.

I am sure everyone has their ideas on this subject and I respect your personal opinions. Just thought I would give you another perspective.

John
    I agree with you on those points of why the speeds would be different. For me... I don't care about the safety risk.

The issue I have is apparently the machine has 16mb of memory onboard even if you bought the 1mb version. Thus, you have already paid for the physical cost of having the memory on your machine... however, if you actually want to use that memory in the machine, you need to pay.

Pay for what you want would make sense if it only came with 1mb onboard and then you installed extra physically.. but when the machine comes with more but they intentionally limit the capability of the equipment, that my friend is a scam.

I like the machine, but the add-on unlock features are retarded.

FYI 1gb of ram is about $15.00

Quote Originally Posted by pld0vr View Post
    ..... but when the machine comes with more but they intentionally limit the capability of the equipment, that my friend is a scam.

I like the machine, but the add-on unlock features are retarded.
    No it is not a scam. You know what you are getting before you get it; Haas is upfront with their pricing, nothing is hidden.

Very likely if they had to physically omit something on some machines but include it on others the overall machine manufacturing cost would escalate because of the extra record keeping and tracking.

pld0vr

You don't have the same spindle on your TM as a mini, one is grease packed the other is oil mist
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    the overall machine manufacturing cost would escalate because of the extra record keeping and tracking.
    Then why charge $1000.00 more for $1.00 of memory that is ALREADY installed? Your explanation makes no sense at all.

That's like buying a hybrid car... but they disable the batteries without extra payment.

HAAS owners are far too HAAS friendly... you're even making excuses for them.

If it's physically in the machine, it should work. That is insane. It's a scam... sorry it's true.

pld0vr

That's like buying a hybrid car... but they disable the batteries without extra payment.

No not correct, your mill will run just fine with the 1mg of ram, but your hybrid car would not
    Mactec54

To be more correct, it's like buying a house and being told you can't use the linen closets or pantry. You physically own the property...would you allow the seller of your new house to have authority over and have a say in what you may use or do with what you have legally paid for? It's more than just a principal...

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    pld0vr

No not correct, your mill will run just fine with the 1mg of ram, but your hybrid car would not

Then why charge $1000.00 more for $1.00 of memory that is ALREADY installed? Your explanation makes no sense at all.

HAAS owners are far too HAAS friendly... you're even making excuses for them.

If it's physically in the machine, it should work. That is insane. It's a scam... sorry it's true.
    Though I do not seek the best deal in town, I am quite frugal and I like to at least get a good deal. So, I'm too balk at the sticker shock of having to pay for already installed options and then that $1K for 16gb of memory.

To be fair, there is a bit of self induced "HAAS friendliness" on my part. I have a preference for American made products but I have to account for how I spend company's money. Because it's not my money I can't just pay more to buy American so I can feel better. I think for the same amount of money you really can't beat a Haas for value. However obscene their pricing may appear, it's just industry standard. I haven't ventured beyond Haas machines, but I've heard that Fanuc are even stingier on machine memory and their prices for options and replacement parts are even more outrageous.

True, a lot of the "options" are already prebuild into the control board and the material costs are probably minimal. But, they still have to recuperate their R&D and other costs. For all I know, the money from charging for those supposed "free" option could be going to paying for those models they used for advertisement a while back. Who knows, who cares. Every company has their own business model and as a buyer I don't really care how much it cost Haas to make their machine, but how much a Haas machine cost relative to other machines.

As a frugal buyer, I don't like the idea for paying more for already installed options, but I checked around and Haas still has one of the best deals in town.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    pld0vr

You don't have the same spindle on your TM as a mini, one is grease packed the other is oil mist
    This is true but the 'P' versions of the toolroom mills are set at 6000rpm on the spindle and 400 ipm rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by 307startup View Post
    To be more correct, it's like buying a house and being told you can't use the linen closets or pantry. You physically own the property...would you allow the seller of your new house to have authority over and have a say in what you may use or do with what you have legally paid for? It's more than just a principal...
    If you don't care for warranty, feel free to hack into the controller and write your own codes. Or, break out the soldering iron and start upgrading the memory chip. Or, rip out the controller and use your own controller. Once you pay for the machine it's yours. You can paint the machine pink and turn it into a piece of abstract art if you like.

This is exactly why I feel that if the rapids and spindle speeds are likely de-tuned... so to get the best bang for my buck, I want to change them.

This is exactly why I feel that if the rapids and spindle speeds are likely de-tuned... so to get the best bang for my buck, I want to change them.

It's your machine so do whatever you want to it... run the heck out of it and make some money.

Contact

Yes, I do have details as to why I would not recommend this. If you would like to discuss them please feel free to call me.

Wayne Reilly
    Applications Manager
    Haas Automation Inc.
    805-278-8560 (direct line)

I think a lot of the times the "reason" is more for marketing. Do you have any specific technical details on why you would not recommend this? I don't trust the factory.

ie: Don't buy the TM1, get the minimill which has the same spindle, but is set to run at 6000rpm.

I mean how far do you trust a company that puts 16mb of memory onboard but only lets you use 1mb unless you "upgrade" via unlock code.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    Yes, I do have details as to why I would not recommend this. If you would like to discuss them please feel free to call me.

Wayne Reilly
    Applications Manager
    Haas Automation Inc.
    805-278-8560 (direct line)
    Why not post them here for everyone to see?

Page 1 of 7 123