586,094 active members*
3,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: HSM????

Cool HSM????

I have been doing a lot of research in high speed machining. I have looked at Haas, Mazak, Mori, Fanuc, and a number of trade publications. I want to understand what high speed machining is but I can not find any good definition. Does anyone have a good definition of this.

There is no definitive definition, it is all relative, to the part and material you are machining and how you used to machine the part. Almost everyone doing high speed machining will give a different definition.

High speed machining of fully hard M2 is very different from high speed machining of aluminum.

Pages 2,3, and 4 cover some of this.
    http://www.geonicsinc.com/reference/...d_Controls.pdf
    They have a lot more info also.
    http://www.geonicsinc.com/reference.shtml

High speed machining encompasses a variety of techniques and concepts revolving around chip thinning. The idea is to take light cuts with fast feeds, rather than heavy cuts with slow feeds (hogging).

HSM is often associated with mold making. Moldmaking-specific machines are designed for optimal workpiece finishes with ball endmills. They have linear guides for high speed and low hysteresis, high speed spindles, and high resolution motor encoders and controls. This makes them much better suited for HSM than hogging when it comes to roughing out a large block of tool steel.

-Sol
    Glacern Machine Tools

Thanks, for the information. But, why do all the machine tool makers call it something different?

Because there is no and should not be any governing body with the authority to force everyone to use the same definition.

So the marketing departments take over and do everything they can to make their company stick out in the crowd.