586,753 active members*
7,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Need to reduce the number of lines in some dxf files, Too big for Burny 2.5

Need to reduce the number of lines in some dxf files, Too big for Burny 2.5

Hi, I have a problem and am not sure how to fix it. Anybody have any ideas? I have an old Burny 2.5 on an Esab XMA cantaleiver machine. I run oxy/fuel and plasma. I use a Shop Data Systems G-code program to convert my dxf files. I bought the Burny equipment new in 1996. It has been a work horse for me for almost 20 years. I closed my shop 2 years ago but I still tinker a little.
    My issue is more software related because of the limitations of the uploader. I was given a project to cut out some large scale halloween decorations from dxf files she got from this site. I can read them fine in the conversion program but the files become large because of the volume of little lines.
    I have auto sketch, v2 and v9 and also corel draw 4 and even solidworks 2001. I have tried everything I know. I am a down and dirty 2D cad drawn part cutter. This is kicking my butt. I have tried smoothing, spline editing ( doesnt even recognize it) and I am just short of drawing each part from scratch.
    Thank you.
    Willfish4fude

Re: Need to reduce the number of lines in some dxf files, Too big for Burny 2.5

I would redraw by tracing over the existing drawing on a different layer.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks
    I have one other option too, I forgot to mention. I have a replicator, a black line tracer on the unit as well. I will have to print all the files and I think I will do that to only the difficult ones.
    Again thanks
    Garland

I had the same system here in my shop and got rid of it for that reason. What I used to do was segregate each item out so the data didn't overwhelm the 2.5. So when I created large nests I had to give that particular operator some single pc files to burn individually. Glad that system is out of my shop I now have a burny phantom on it.