586,911 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What tools do you need to be a machinist?
Page 8 of 8 678
    Wow. Just found this thread. There is nothing wrong with having a Kennedy toolbox, but I have a big problem with people who would judge a person's ability based on what kind of toolbox he owns. A person that would judge based on trivial matters such as this is in my opinion a narrow minded idiot. Plain and simple. An employer that would make this kind of judgement is even worse as this is sending a signal that toolbox appearance is more important than work results. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to work for such a person, or hire his business if this is the kind of thing he places importance on.

I happen to have a Craftsman roller cabinet that I value more than any other toolchest could ever match. It was given to me by my grandfather who passed away just a few years after I received it. I used that cabinet at every machinist job I had. So I guess it was unprofessional or uncaring of my profession to use a toolbox I value more than any toolbox ever made simply because it was red and not crinkled green.

Bottom line is that a person's ability, or professionalism can't be judged by looking at his toolbox.

Listen guys... it has been nearly two years since this whole can of worms erupted. My position hasn't changed. If you want to roll a trash can into a shop with HF tools crammed inside, be my guest. Sure, you might be the best machinist on God's green earth but it won't look like it hauling junk tools and boxes around.

When I go visit my clients, which I do on a regular basis, I still look around to see what their machinists use. Occasionally, the topic will come up and eyes roll when they compare their machinists. I'm telling you true, the cheapskate machinists weren't looked upon favorably by their shop foremen. Does that mean they're less of a machinist? Well, their work speaks for themselves.

Life is full of first impressions. It is what you bring to the table as a machinist that counts in shops. Trusting your work to $20 HF calipers, etc., is insane. Expecting to get paid big bucks in the industry using HF crap is also insane. Your work ethic, tools and boxes, ability to produce quality close tolerance work, is what sets one machinist apart from another. The bottom line here, in my opinion, is that while first impressions are not always the right impression, they certainly can be lasting impressions... with long-term financial consequences.

That's my two cents worth. Carry on.

You are certainly entitled to you opinion, but what makes you think others aren't. I worked in several shops as a machinist and never experienced the kind of elitist behavior that you describe. I advanced in all of those shops based on my skill and the parts I produced. My red Craftsman box never came up and I was promoted many times over other workers that had Kennedy boxes, and was often picked specifically for critical jobs.

You refer to junk boxes and junk tools, assuming that if it isn't a Kennedy that it must have junk tools inside. Maybe some people prefer to spend their money on quality tools that actually affect the outcome of the parts they make rather than on a box that can in no way improve part outcome. My box has a mix, but includes respected name brand tools for when parts require close tolerances.

Bottom line is that you are entitled to your opinion and others, including myself, are entitled to think it is elitist crap.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    1. You are certainly entitled to you opinion, but what makes you think others aren't.

2. I worked in several shops as a machinist and never experienced the kind of elitist behavior that you describe.

3. Bottom line is that you are entitled to your opinion and others, including myself, are entitled to think it is elitist crap.
    1. Never said they weren't.

2. That's great but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It has been my experience that it does.

3. It makes no difference to me. Thanks for weighing in.

After implementing the advice I gleaned from this discussion, I'd like to let everyone know that, following a hard fought interview, my toolbox has now secured a plumb job in a local machine shop.

Martin.

OK Martin, now that's funny! LMAO

Page 8 of 8 678