587,035 active members*
3,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Desperate for a new tape source

For years now I've relied on a particular double-sided tape for anchoring those products that cannot be clamped or held with a vacuum pod. I've always despised using it because (1) it's $10 for a small roll, and (2) it's hard to remove when you're done. Just the same, it works perfectly and it's no further than the neearest Home Depot. In my case that's ten minutes (lucky me). But the last time I needed it they didn't have it any more. There was something else there in its place. I assumed it was on back-order. It would be there next time. But no. It's gone.

The stuff they've replaced it with is Rhino Grip 50-540. Yuk! Simply will not work for what I'm doing. Typically I can Google and find anything made by man. Not this time. I've looked high and low and it simply cannot be found anywhere.

So I hoping one of you can tell me what you're using. Not just any double-sided tape will do. I've tried all the carpet tapes with and without mesh. It's too gooey and lets the work piece sip when subjected to the lateral forces of the bit.

The stuff I used before is ACRYLIC. It's thinner than thin and colorless, though colored would be fine, better.

I typically need to attach a piece of machineable wax to a plate of Plexiglas. Then I machine the wax. After that I separate the two with a pocket knife and clean off the tape residue with brake cleaner.

The stuff I was using was "Glass-Tac Acrylic Double-Face Tape (Recommended for use with Armstrong Loose Lay Sheet Vinyl Flooring)."

I've double-checked the spelling, checked with Armstrong, etc. I'm satisfied the stuff no longer exists but there's got to be something like it. I'm desperate. Hope you'll respond. Thanks,

www.ProjectCNC.wordpress,com.

Is it like this?
    http://www.aaksignsupply.com/sign-su...68-144-19.html

You might want to try golf club grip tape. If you have a Golfsmith store near you, you can get it there. It's basically a double sided masking tape. I've been using it instead of carpet tape and it holds really well.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Smile

IQChallenged, Like you I tried carpet tape and other types of locally available tape without success. Then I heard about Intertape through the www.signs101.com site. It's used to affix engraved plates and signs, also cut out letters to larger sign boards. It's thicker than carpet tape and holds way better.

I bought this usually pricey tape on Ebay, 5 rolls for $15 plus $6 shipping. It's listed now under Item number: 150389343828.

I have used it to hold plexi and sign plastic directly to the table for routing and it holds great. You just have to SLOWLY pry up an edge with a putty knife when done; too fast and the plastic can snap because it holds so well.

The tape can be removed by simply "rolling" it with your thumb. I was pleased that there was not any residue to clean off afterwards, and at how fast the tape came off given how tight it held the sheets. This stuff is way better than what you can get locally.