586,106 active members*
2,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport VMC 3020 constantly using air

Hello I have a bridgeport VMC 3020 with a fanuc 21i control.

I am having an issue where air usage is constant. I can feel air coming from around the spindle making me think that there may be a stuck valve or bad gasket. I have the maintenance guide but am still having trouble finding where the air leak could be coming from.

I would like to find this as it is making my air compressor run all the time and I fear the compressor won't hold up if I leave an already proven program running over night.

Thanks for any help/advice. - Ed

Yes there is air constantly running out from around the spindle and it was designed that way. It should be set at about 15 PSI. This is to protect the spindle bearings from trash getting in there. It should have a air shut off where it comes into the machine.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you for the quick response.

One more question though how much air should be coming from the bleeder which is next to the air input? It seems like a high amount as I said our compressor runs almost constantly. Maybe it is that I don't have a large enough compressor though also.

Krefte

George said how much should be coming out, you should have it set to 15psi, & your compressor would need to be at the smallest around 60gal tank 13cfm, the bigger the tank the better, then the compressor won't be running all the time
    Mactec54

Is the bleeder at the bottom of the plastic bowl? If so and it is leaking, it is defective.
    If it is of the automatic type, it will drain when enough water is in it, if it is the manual type, it should not leak unless it is opened manually.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am looking for Manuals of Bridgeport VMC 3020 with Fanuc control year 2000(machine manuals only). I will pay for it and you may reach me [email protected]

Re: Bridgeport VMC 3020 constantly using air

Quote Originally Posted by Krefte View Post
    Hello I have a bridgeport VMC 3020 with a fanuc 21i control.

I am having an issue where air usage is constant. I can feel air coming from around the spindle making me think that there may be a stuck valve or bad gasket. I have the maintenance guide but am still having trouble finding where the air leak could be coming from.

I would like to find this as it is making my air compressor run all the time and I fear the compressor won't hold up if I leave an already proven program running over night.

Thanks for any help/advice. - Ed
    There is a regulator air setting for the amount of air that feeds the spindle. Bridgeport maintains a positive air pressure so coolant does not get suck into the spindle bearing area. The setting should be about 10 psi just enough to do the job. Sometimes this setting is so high that you hear an air leak coming from the spindle..therefore draining the compressor quickly. You can adjust this low or turn off when not in use. Another adjustment is that of the spindle bearing lubrication >this occurs when a tool change is made >this setting is set for one oil drop everything you hit tool eject button. Have a person keep hitting the eject button while you adjust the amount of oil drops. This lubrication also helps the drawbar oiling .