586,546 active members*
3,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What tool box to buy????

I am shopping around for a tool chest... What is the industry standard??? I would like to stay under $500 but am open to all suggestions. I have the normal mics, calipers, scales and tools inventory plus a lot of other junk What tool boxes are you guys working out of??? The Kennedy #526 8 drawer model looks nice but looks could be deceiving.. I DO NOT want to buy used so please don't try and sell me yours... And I don't want solicited by MFG's so please only shop guys here!

Thanks,
    :withstupi

Kennedy or duplicate. That way you will have the drawer in the middle designed for one of the most important tools, Machinery's Handbook.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

What size of chest.... # of drawers etc..... I could go with a smaller box but might need room to grow. Do any of you guys use multiple chests or roller style? If so how did they fill up so fast Just trying to look ahead here..

That's why they make expansion boxes/ risers.etc. When those fill up you add a roller cart . When they're all full, you retire and sell them all to a rookie. LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Contrary to what some guys on this forum will tell you, buy a name brand box. You don't want to roll a cheap box onto the floor that should've stayed in your garage. Go with a Gerstner or a Kennedy.:cheers:

I agree, go with a name brand box. You can get replacement locks and drawer dividers etc. later when you need them. I have Kenndy boxes. Good duty box not as expensive as Gerstner. I really love the wooden Gerstner boxes but I chose to have some money for tools to put in the box!

Quote Originally Posted by CNCBoss View Post
    I agree, go with a name brand box. You can get replacement locks and drawer dividers etc. later when you need them. I have Kenndy boxes. Good duty box not as expensive as Gerstner. I really love the wooden Gerstner boxes but I chose to have some money for tools to put in the box!
    Can you guys give me model #s and brands so that I can get moving in a more specific direction? It may not seem like a big deal but a persons tools say a lot about person who owns them. I dont want to be the black sheep here.

My personal box is a Kennedy #526 top, MC-28 two drawer riser and a #297 roller box. These boxes are pretty much full. I have been in the trade for almost 30 years and have collected all this through the years. I have tools that the company does not supply because it is the tool for the job, it makes my life easier and better.
    Buy the best tools you can afford and take care of them. Good quality tools will last you an entire career and be ready for the next fresh face to take them farther down the road. Good luck in your future.

I have a #526 top box mounted on a #2600 riser that sits on a #295 roll around. The riser is nice because it allows me to keep my surface plate on my box.

Dont know where you live but Kennedy is in Van Wert, OH. I bought mine from there it was a scatch and dent but you couldnt even see unless you are up close. It was a 15 draw all ball-bearing box and i got it for $500. It wasnt a used box just one that they used at shows and if you work at a shop it is going to get a little digged up over the years. But i would say go with a Kennedy.

I think it depends on the shop, to some degree, I have 2 kennedy rollers with the top box, and I keep them in my garage at home, at work I use a waterloo that I got for a fraction of the cost of the kennedy, and it works just fine.

I've worked with the guys that will tell you kennedy is for machinist, craftman for a mechinic, If you have limited funds you can get a cheaper box and have enough left to put some tools into it..
    Take it or leave it..