587,302 active members*
3,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

0-MC Resets to G54

I have a 0-MC with software version 0461-D2. In MDI mode, if the reset button is pressed, the work coordinate changes to G54. I have tried changing Par. 394.6 WKZRST, to both 0/1 (original parameter list was 0) but the coordinate still changes to G54, no matter the setting.

What am I missing?

Work around, while in MDI, program your work offset back in.

In my manual it's 388 bit 6 not 394.

Isn't 388.6 for the T control?

Yeah, but I'm used to the work offset being modal and I kinda' like things to work like they were intended to.

Safe Start Block

After each tool change you should have a "safe start block" that repeats all the modal conditions. Inch/metric, absolute/incremental, offsets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tlosparky View Post
    Yeah, but I'm used to the work offset being modal and I kinda' like things to work like they were intended to.
    LOL...Isn't the way a machine is "supposed" to work the way the machine tool builder built it?

well there's always something annoying that needs a minor adjustment. For example on Mori's (and possibly all Fanucs?) the memory key has to be in the write protect position to run it. Being a programmer I'm constantly altering stuff until its perfect. I prefer to leave the key off so I fixed it with a PMC setting. I don't care how the machine builder thinks its done

@ford - I understand. But, most of these guys don't know the difference between G-code and ZIP code. Having them change parameters is usually setting them up for a train wreck. Now, I enjoy a good train wreck once in a while. So, if that is the point in changing parameters, then let's get to it. Heck, I bet most of them do not even know that the bit numbers of parameters read right to left and start with 0. Maybe parameter changing should be left to people that have, oh say, 6 years of experience and can actually manually edit G-code with successful results? Just saying. ROFLMBO

Meaning that a modal code is supposed to stay modal until it is changed in programming (including MDI) or power is cycled.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    LOL...Isn't the way a machine is "supposed" to work the way the machine tool builder built it?
    Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    well there's always something annoying that needs a minor adjustment.
    I don't care how the machine builder thinks its done
    I agree with fordav11. I've seen some irrational things done by MTB. Like not identifying that the tool being called is already in the spindle and just does a tool change to exchange the correct spindle tool with whatever happens to be in the next tool pot of the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by mfgbydesign View Post
    After each tool change you should have a "safe start block" that repeats all the modal conditions. Inch/metric, absolute/incremental, offsets, etc.
    I agree with mfgbydesign that each tool should virtually be a stand alone program, but would only have the G20/G21 in the first safety line of the program.

Well structured programs are those that require minimal input from the operator for the machine to operate safely and efficiently, and allows for relatively fool proof tool repeat/restart when required.

Work around, while in MDI, program your work offset back in.
    Relying on remembering to reinstate the work shift offset via MDI every time a Reset is made is potentially a prang in waiting. Every good programmer I know include the work shift offset in the code for each tool in the program. Even if the work shift were model, this code is too important to be left to chance. They certainly don't rely on the operator keeping the machine safe via MDI. As stated earlier, that task must be remembered every time without exception, and has the added hazard of incorrect inputs.

Regards,

Bill

My issue is with repeated entry of work offset in MDI mode, if I have to press reset. If a parameter is supposed to address this and doesn't, I would kinda' like to figure out why.

Depends on what you want to describe as being modal. I consider modal anything that is programmed until an M30 or rest is pressed. I am really surprised that 394.6 did not take care of this. This would indicate to me that it is a MTB issue.

I like to have my default to be G54 and then also make sure that G54 is a safe area. This way if someone starts programming in MDI say X0Y0Z0 it ends up being a safe area rather than a feature on a part in the machine.

I do agree with you but it does get confusing when a MTB sets up a machine that goes against some rules that are stated in the Fanuc manuals. That appears to be the case here. I know that if things were reversed and I had a MT that was set up to not default to G54 and the parameter setting had no effect I would be irate.

Maybe parameter changing should be left to people that have, oh say, 6 years of experience and can actually manually edit G-code with successful results? Just saying. ROFLMBO
    What if it’s someone just getting into the business with very little money that picked up a cheap used machine with little experience, say less then 6yrs? A good chunk of people here asking for help fit that bill IMO.

Stevo

Isn't the best "way to get into the business" to get training and experience by working for someone else for a while? I think it is called apprenticeship. Something our society got away from years ago. And now we are reaping the results.

DANG!

I had a simple question about a parameter that was not functioning as expected. I didn't know I needed to supply a resume and a work history for at least the past 6 years.

Isn't the best "way to get into the business" to get training and experience by working for someone else for a while? I think it is called apprenticeship. Something our society got away from years ago. And now we are reaping the results.
    Yes and no. We are not comparing apples to apples here. I have many journeyman machinists with lots of experience that work for me and they have more than enough experience to go take a stab at business on their own and some of these guys do but they lack experience with the inner workings of the MT. Some of these same guys are here asking questions about parameter settings and how to setup MT. It is very rare that you are going to find someone that is taught a little about everything.

I think this forum is a great way to gain back some of apprenticeships that we no longer do. Help those that need help.

DANG!
    I had a simple question about a parameter that was not functioning as expected. I didn't know I needed to supply a resume and a work history for at least the past 6 years.
    LMAO. Ask all the questions you want. It will be our apprenticeship.

Sorry........txcncman and I didn't mean to hijack the thread from ya.

Stevo

Isn't 388.6 for the T control?
    Ooops. My mistake... grabbed the wrong pdf.

Yeah, many shops are getting away from training apprentices.

I think this forum is a great way to gain back some of apprenticeships that we no longer do. Help those that need help
    Yeah, I agree Stevo. And yeah it's very hard to find somene that knows a little of everything.

I like to have my default to be G54 and then also make sure that G54 is a safe area. This way if someone starts programming in MDI say X0Y0Z0 it ends up being a safe area rather than a feature on a part in the machine.
    Yeah, Stevo this is the way I like it too. It's semi idiot proof.

Well structured programs are those that require minimal input from the operator for the machine to operate safely and efficiently, and allows for relatively fool proof tool repeat/restart when required.
    Not everybody writes well structured programs, though. But this is a great idea. Not every 'operator" does things the same every time either.

Greg

Discovered that work offset changes back to G54 at the M30 in Auto mode and after E-Stop activation, as well. None of the G address "Reset" or "Rewind" bits are in the logic, except for the External Reset and none of the previously mentioned conditions trip the coil. I have worked with various Fanuc controls and have not seen this, ever. Is there another parameter that I'm overlooking?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    I think this forum is a great way to gain back some of apprenticeships that we no longer do. Help those that need help.

LMAO. Ask all the questions you want. It will be our apprenticeship.

Sorry........txcncman and I didn't mean to hijack the thread from ya.

Stevo
    Steve,
    I don't see it that you've hijacked the thread. Your inputs in this and other forums show the benefits of your many contributions.
    DANG!
    tlosparky's comment is a prudent example of what you're talking about. He asks a relatively simple question and the thread is taken on a course of whether an individual can be trusted to make parameter changes. A much worse situation would be for those seeking help from the forum, to not to. At least those with experience can help the inquirer avoid trouble.

Altering parameters is not a taboo subject. Fanuc, Okuma Mazak and just about all other control builders supply information on their parameters and how to modify them. At the very least, those asking for help are attempting to avoid problems. There is much more potential to hurt the machine through program modifications than modifying parameters. All machines should have their parameters backed up irrespective of whether there's an intention to modify them.

Regards,

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12