587,999 active members*
4,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

$10k to spend. Where to put it.

So I've got $10,000 to upgrade my laser.

I can go with the Fullspectrum 36x24" laser with a 90w tube. It's a cheapass chinese model. I've read about issues with it. But it has the retina card and does some cool stuff.

Or I can get a Universal Laser 16x12 (I really DONT need the extra space) with a 30w metal RF tube.

The accuracy of the RF tube is a huge draw.

If I spend a few K more I can get a 24x12 with a 50w RF tube.

I dunno. The fact FSE is selling rebranded cheap chinese crap is an issue. The fact those glass tubes dont raster as nice concerns me too.

If you had $10k for a laser, where would you put it?

I would buy a 1200 x 900 80w RECI tubed laser and a 900 x 600 60w tubed laser for that money -- I actually did buy a package like that a year ago from Shenui lasers..couldn't be happier. I have 6 mainstream lasers and the chinese ones are great , their glass tubes engrave the same as my RF tubed ones. Cut a LOT better...
    Chinese ones engrave at about 2/3rds of the speed of my servo motor lasers (GCC explorers and spirits)

Hi, InfernusDoleo,

Yes, one big cutter around 52X36" (power maybe 90W or 130W) and one small engraver 36x24" sounds wonderful. Especially from our company, LoL

Melody
    [email protected]

Hiya ID,

I'd go with Rodney but opt for the Bejing EFR tube in 80 watt (American lens's, German glassware) 10,000 Hrs life (real 10,000 not 6,000 great + 4,000 poor) Still a lot cheaper than GSI but on a par power wise.

Look at it another way, it's a lot easier to fix a cheapo Chinese box than have Universal out to do a repair

I like RF tubes, I just don't like the conditions that many manufacturers attach to their ownership.

Like you I'm lucky enough not to be held down by financial constraints and yet my next machine will still be a Galvo from China (either Via HPC or Direct from G Weike) RF....nice machines but I don't want to be paying for nice 2 pack paint that doesn't make it run any better.

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Melody-gweike View Post
    Hi, InfernusDoleo,

Yes, one big cutter around 52X36" (power maybe 90W or 130W) and one small engraver 36x24" sounds wonderful. Especially from our company, LoL

Melody
    [email protected]
    I emailed you guys from your site the other day, but never got a response. I'll see if I can find and resend it to you personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Hiya ID,

I'd go with Rodney but opt for the Bejing EFR tube in 80 watt (American lens's, German glassware) 10,000 Hrs life (real 10,000 not 6,000 great + 4,000 poor) Still a lot cheaper than GSI but on a par power wise.

Look at it another way, it's a lot easier to fix a cheapo Chinese box than have Universal out to do a repair

I like RF tubes, I just don't like the conditions that many manufacturers attach to their ownership.

Like you I'm lucky enough not to be held down by financial constraints and yet my next machine will still be a Galvo from China (either Via HPC or Direct from G Weike) RF....nice machines but I don't want to be paying for nice 2 pack paint that doesn't make it run any better.

best wishes

Dave

What are the conditions you speak of? I went to a dealer today (someone I've done $20k+ business with in the past and like working with and trust) and played with a Universal for a few hours. I REALLY liked it. I mean, like, truly loved it. I'd have gently caressed the machine if they'd have let me.

Where I'm at now, after HEAVILY using a G. Weike laser sold to me by FSE 18 months ago, vs playing with the Universal laser for an hour today, is pretty much salivating over the universal laser. It's just SO nice.

My issue with the G Weike lasers is that they are... I dont have a good word for it. They dont feel polished. They feel like they need constant work, tweaking, and attention. To the BEST of my efforts I cannot get a clean cut or spot size that even remotely compares to what I got on the Universal today. And I used my FSE laser DAILY. I'm no newbie. I KNOW this machine intimately.

And the Universal had me drooling.

Even though the 50W 24x12 model with rotatry was close to 16k.

I'm not rich. But, dammit, that was a nice machine.

They try to make you a fool.
    Rodney is Chinese spy.
    There is no better choice than 50W RF.

I build laser machines and make service for many years.
    Don`t waste your money buying Chinese CW lasers technology.
    This is piece of s....t for poors.
    If you don`t really need big space and have enough bucks for 50W RF just buy good quality laser.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Horses for courses ID, I have two mitsu metal cutters that make the cheaper universals look like crap and make Chinese lasers look like floor sweepings.... then again they cost close to $350,000 each.

Yup I agree, the Universals, Epilogs, GS, machines all make the Chinese machines look *unpolished* or to be blunt "Heath Robinson" BUT that's because they cost 10x less for a comparable sized machine.

I've played with RF lasers but don't like the re-gas costs, or in the case of some UK suppliers the conditions (ergo, you must have the source re-gassed every 2 years to keep your warranty etc etc)

My SL65 is far more refined, powerful and handles so much better than the Honda 4x4 we have as well. Then again it also cost 10x as much. For me ID I'd rather just get what I need and replace when required, my business suits those needs though, yours may not so a Uni may be a better choice.

cheers

Dave

Cine, you going off again?

They try to make you a fool.
    I think you mean "They are trying to make a fool of you"

Rodney is Chinese spy.
    Oh dear, call homeland security Rod is Russian Mafia

There is no better choice than 50W RF.
    Never played with Chemical Lasers then? do you actually understand the difference between RF excited photon beams and DC excited?

I build laser machines and make service for many years.
    That doesn't make you right, it makes you consistent.

Us Brits like to say "The best way to save face is by knowing when to keep the lower F****ng half closed"

have a nice day

Dave

Given a choice, I think most people here would rather drive a SL65, but sometimes the budget only allows for a Kia.

Yep , In China I'm called "Lodney" and I'm actually a chain smoking 4 star general , meanwhile I live here in South Africa under the disguise of being a siberian turk importer/exporter and trophy purveyor.. I'm laying the groundwork for a Sino invasion...
    However , I DON'T build lasers for a living , just use em , so unlike a lot of posters on this board , have no vested interest in promoting one type or brand of machine above another.

I have 6 RF tubed machines , synrads and coherents. I generally get about 3-5000 hours outa them and then it costs between $3-5k to "repair" them (normally the repair = the cost of a whole chinese machine) sometimes I'm lucky , the repaired tube lasts another few years , sometimes they fail just outa warrantee.

Quote Originally Posted by atv2 View Post
    Given a choice, I think most people here would rather drive a SL65, but sometimes the budget only allows for a Kia.
    Thats what it all comes down to brother, RF may be better in some ways but that small increase in quality comes at a price

Ahh Lodney your plan has been discovered by Mr Bond

cheers

Dave

Rodney, I think the cats out of the bag. You own all of the Chinese companies, and upon closer review, you name can be found on bottom left corner of all of the PCB in the machine, and your finger prints are all over the Chinese tubes. It's an Internet fact that you, in fact, designed and built all of the Chinese machines yourself, and your little business in South Africa is just a shell company to promote your real products.